(是枝裕和 Kore-Eda Hirokazu
, born in 1962 in Tokyo
) is a Japanese film director
. His films explore themes of memory, death, and coming to terms with loss.
Kore-Eda originally planned to be a novelist, but after graduating from Waseda University instead worked as an assistant director making documentaries for TV Man Union. He sneaked off set to direct his first film, Lessons from a Calf (1991).
Has produced films for directors Miwa Nishikawa and Yusuke Iseya.
- Aruitemo aruitemo (2008)
- Hana yori mo naho (2006)
- Nobody Knows (Dare mo shiranai) (2004)
- Distance (2001)
- After Life (Wandafuru Raifu) (1998)
- Without Memory (1996)
- This World (1996)
- Maborosi (Maboroshi no hikari) (1995)
- August Without Him (1994)
- However (1991)
- Lessons From a Calf (1991)
- "After Life" (Review) by Jonathan Ellis. Film Quarterly, Vol. no. 57, Issue no. 1, pp. 32-37. ISSN 0015-1386.
- "This is your life: Tony Rayns interviews After Life's director Koreeda Hirokazu" Sight & Sound, March 1999.