Osmania University (also known as OU in short) is a public university situated in the city of Hyderabad in Andhra Pradesh, India. It is one of the oldest modern universities in India. It is one of the largest university systems in the subcontinent with over 300,000 students on its various campuses and affiliated colleges. It is particularly well known for its Engineering and Technology departments. Its faculty of management is considered as one of the best management institutions under the university system. Osmania Medical College was once part of the same university system. It is now transferred under the supervision of NTR Health University, AP, India.
Founded in 1918 by the Seventh Nizam of Hyderabad state
, Nawab Mir Osman Ali Khan
, Osmania University is the seventh oldest institution of higher learning in India, the third oldest in southern India and the first to be established in the erstwhile princely State of Hyderabad
. For almost nine decades, it has sustained an integrated development of all faculties. It has contributed to the academic, social, and economic development of the region and the nation as a whole.
Its alumni have distinguished themselves nationally and internationally (See Notable Alumni section).
Present Chancellor of the University is Sri T Tirupati Rao.
Education, research and admissions
Osmania university is a non-profit university, which funded and managed by the government. Admissions into bachelor of engineering, masters and doctoral programs of this university is purely on a merit basis, evaluated by national entrance examinations for each of the courses offered. The research activities are funded by various agencies like UGC (University Grants Commission) or by CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) which are autonomous agencies of government of India. Osmania University, founded by the Nizam in 1918, is the seventh oldest in India.
Osmania has a campus of nearly 1600 acres (6 km²). Osmania University is perhaps the largest higher education system in the country . The university attracts students from all across the nation as well as from various other countries. It is the home to nearly 300,000 students pursuing their higher studies in its campus, constituent affiliated colleges and district centres. Its faculty and staff number nearly 5,000.
Osmania offers courses in Humanities, Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Law, Engineering, Medicine, Technology, Commerce and Business Management, Information Technology and Oriental Languages.
In the year 2001, Osmania University had the distinction of being awarded the five-star status by the National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC) of the University Grants Commission, part of the Government of India .
College of Arts and Sciences
College of Science
The schools of Botany, Zoology, Environmental Science,Geography, Geoinformatics, Geophysics, Geology, Geochemistry, Biochemistry, Genetics , Biotechnology, Chemistry, Mathematics & Statistics, Astronomy, Astrophysics and Physics have been contributing to the scientific community through research.
College of Commerce and Business Management
The Department of Business Management, Osmania University
has been offering an MBA program since 1964. This program has been consistently ranked as one of the best MBA programs in India
. Only 60 students from over 100,000 applicants make it into this MBA program through a competitive exam. Besides M.B.A it offers Ph.D in management also.It has tie up with various institutions like college of defence management to offer MMS for senior military officers,Deccan school of hospital management and Apollo institute of Hospital administration to offer MHM.It offers MPM in association with Sarder Vallabhai Patel institute of police administration.
College of Engineering and Technology
The College of Engineering (OUCE), established in 1929, offers B.E (Bachelor of Engineering), M.E (Master of Engineering), and Ph.D. programs in various engineering fields. It is an autonomous college and arguably the best engineering college in Andhra Pradesh.The College due to its tremendous academic pursuit and excellence of its alumni has been given the status of IIT which places it amongst the very elite of the engineering colleges in the country as per the S.K Joshi committee which chose seven engineering colleges from around the country for conversion to IIT which places it well above the NIT's and REC's in terms of Technical Education.. The College of technology is one of the best colleges of Chemical Engineering
in southern India . This college evolved from applied chemistry department. It offers Chemical Engineering, Textile Engineering and Food Technology courses.
Osmania University notable Alumni
- P.V. Narasimha Rao, Scholar , Statesman and former Prime Minister of India.
- Yaga Venugopal Reddy, Ph.D., Governor of the Reserve Bank of India
- Shivraj Patil, Ex-Speaker of the Indian Parliament and Home Minister
- Prof.Mohammed Abdur Rahman Khan, Educator, Scientist, Principal of Osmania University College and Nizam College.
- Barrister Asaduddin Owaisi, Politician and Current Member of Parliament of India.
- Shantanu Narayen, BE, President of Adobe Systems
- Raj Vemulapalli, MS Computer Science, B.E Computer Science, Senior Director of Engineering, Yahoo! Inc.
- M N Rao,BE,Chief Executive Officer, Serwizsol (subsidiary of Tata & Sons)
- Sanjiv Sidhu, B. Tech., Chairman & CEO, i2 Technologies
- DR. Javeed Alam, M.A, Ph.D, Chairperson, ICSSR
- Satish Reddy, B. Tech., Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories
- Aslam Farshori,M.A.,Radio and TV Personality
- Nagesh Kukunoor, B.Tech., Film Actor and Director
- Jaipal Reddy, MA, Member of Parliament
- Harsha Bhogle, B. Tech., Well known Cricket commentator
- Mohan Bhupathy, Doordarshan Sports Commentator
- Karunakar Sreerama, BE (OU), ME (IIT Roorkee), CPGS (Univ of Cambridge), Ph.D. (Univ of Missouri-Rolla), MBA (The Univ of Texas at Austin)
- Madhu Yaskhi, LLM, Member of Parliament, New York Attorney
- Muhammad Khutub Uddin, M.D., Ph.D, Physician and professor of Religious Studies and Theology
- Haroon Siddiqui, Indo-Canadian journalist
- Ramulu Komireddi, journalist, lawyer and politician; he was the students' General Secretary of the University during his student years
- Kancha Ilaiah, PhD - Self-styled Dalit scholar
- Muhammad Hamidullah - A great scholar on Islamic sciences.
- Pradeep Reddy - A renowned cardiologist in the Boston area.
- Rajat Reddy - Member of Parliament.
- Mohammed Azharuddin - Former Indian Cricket team Captain
- Karan Bilimoria, Baron Bilimoria - founder of Cobra Beer, Member of the House of Lords, Chancellor of Thames Valley University
- Muhammad Raziuddin Siddiqui, mathematician, physicist, and Nobel Prize Nominee.
- Prof. K. Venkata Ramiah , Founder Vice Chancellor , Kakatiya University, Member,UPSC
- Prof. D.N.REDDY , Vice Chancellor, JNTU Hyderabad
- Afzal Mohammad former Vice Chancellor, BRAOU, Hyderabad
- S.A. Ibrahim, CEO of Radian Group Inc
- Ali Mohammed Khusro, Economist, Director, Reserve Bank of India, and former Indian Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany.
- Makhdoom Mohiuddin, Urdu poet and Communist activist
- T. Bhaskar Rao, Journalist, Educationist, Principal, RK Degree College.
- Santosh Kumar, Famous Pakistani film actor.
- Dr M. Anwar Iqbal, Associate Professor of Pathology and Lab Medicine: University of Rochester
- Iffat Mohani, famous Urdu Novelist and Short Story Writer
- Krishna Baddam, President of DocuTell
- Mirza Ahmed Baig Ghazi, Chief Engineer Sindh Pakistan
- Mitta Yadav Reddy, Principal, Arts College
- Sridhar Bogelli, Founder and President of Apps Associates
- Kiran Teegala, Founder and CEO of Livebiznet.com
List of Colleges Affiliated with Osmania University
Engineering & Technology
- Nizam College
- University College for Women
- PG College - Saifabad
- PG College - Secunderabad
- District PG Colleges
- A V College, Gaganmahal
- Avanthi Degree Coll Barkatpura
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's Vivekananda Degree College, Sainikpuri