Kláštor pod Znievom is a village and municipality in Martin District in the Žilina Region of northern Slovakia, south west from Martin, near the Malá Fatra mountains.
In historical records
was first mentioned in 1113
as a settlement under the Zniev
castle. From 1242 to 1249 the castle was the seat of king Béla IV of Hungary
. Around the half of the 13th century, the settlement got town privileges as the first one in the Turiec
region, but it lost them in 1666 during at the times of reformation
In the second half of the 19th century, Kláštor pod Znievom became one of the centres of Slovak national movement, as one of three Slovak high schools was opened here in 1869, but was closed down in 1874 as a result of the Magyarization
lies at an altitude
of 500 metres
and covers an area
of 39.029km². It has a population
of about 1481 people.