Kirup is situated between Donnybrook and Mullalyup on the South Western Highway, 228 km south of Perth, Western Australia at the entrance of the Blackwood River valley. Kirup was originally settled as a timber town exporting railway sleepers.
Most of the town's income now comes from orcharding. Several farms grow organic fruit and vegetables along with olives and there are large cattle farms in the outlying areas.
Kirup is famous for its Kirup Syrup, an Italian red wine that is sold in flagons at the local tavern.
The townsite was initially a railway siding, named Upper Capel, for the Donnybrook to Bridgetown railway line, constructed in 1898. By 1900 the government started to sell blocks in the area, shortly after a sawmill had been built.
The town was gazetted in 1901; the name is thought to be Aboriginal for "place of the summer flies".