Founded in 1971, Kirksey
began as a small commercial architecture firm and today has evolved into a diverse organization of 10 specialized practice groups, each focusing on a particular business segment. Having rapidly expanded in the national and global marketplaces, Kirksey is headquartered in Houston, Texas
on their own LEED certified corporate campus.
Committed to the community and the environment, Kirksey designs high-performance, healthy buildings for all clients. This was formalized through the creation of The Kirksey Center for Sustainable ArchitectureSM, a private think-tank and consulting group whose focus is to mainstream environmentally-friendly building practices. The Center educates other firm members and the community on green building practices. A basicGREEN program was developed that prescribes sustainable design measures to be implemented on every project, regardless of LEED Certification and at no added cost to the project. Kirksey currently has over 10 million sf of LEED projects certified or underway, and has designed many of Houston's first LEED buildings including:
- 1st LEED certified building in Houston (Silver, New Construction)
- 1st LEED CI in Houston (Silver, Commercial Interiors)
- 1st LEED EB in Texas (Existing Building, our own corporate headquarters)
- 1st LEED CS (Core and Shell), which is also the 1st Gold certified building, in Houston
Kirksey retrofitted their building to become the first LEED EB (existing building) certified in Texas as well as operating internally as a green company for many years through recycling efforts, tree planting, green cleaning programs, alternative transportation incentives for employees.
- Houston Business Journal, Houston’s Best Places to Work, 150-500 employees, 2008
- Greater Houston Partnership’s Houston’s Greatest Mid-Size Company, 2007
- TSA Design Award, Commercial New Construction, 2007
- IIDA Design Excellence Award - Institutional/Education, 2007
- AIA Houston Chapter, Award: Interiors, 2007
- AIA Houston Chapter, Honor Award: Architecture, 2007
- American Subcontractor’s Association, Houston Chapter, A/E Firm of the Year, 2007
- USGBC, Greater Houston Area Chapter, Outstanding Environmental Building Award, 2006
- IIDA Texas/Oklahoma Chapter Interior Design Excellence Award: Sustainable Design, 2006
- USGBC, Greater Houston Area Chapter, Outstanding Environmental Team Award, 2006
- AIA Building Information Modeling (BIM) Award: Inspirational Pilot Projects Award, 2006
"The Growing Importance of LEED-EB'
, "Texas Real Estate Business," May 1, 2008.
"Top 500 Design Firms 2008', "Engineering News-Record," April 21, 2008.
"2007 #1 Largest Houston-Area Green Architects", page 10b. Houston Business Journal, May 23, 2008.
"2007 #8 Largest Houston-Area Architectural Firms", page 6b. Houston Business Journal, June 8, 2007.