Killyleagh (Cill Uí Laoigh in Irish, meaning "Church of the descendants of the hero") is a large village in County Down, Northern Ireland. It is situated on the A22 road from Downpatrick, on the western side of Strangford Lough. It had a population of 2,483 people in the 2001 Census. It is best known for its 12th century castle. Killyleagh has potential for tourism, yachting and wildlife study. It lies within the Down District Council area and the Strangford Constituency area.
Killyleagh is classified as an intermediate settlement by the NI Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA)
(ie with population between 2,250 and 4,500 people).
On Census day (29 April 2001
) there were 2,483 people living in Killyleagh. Of these:
- 22.5% were aged under 16 years and 20.3% were aged 60 and over
- 49.5% of the population were male and 50.5% were female
- 37.8% were from a Catholic background and 60.4% were from a Protestant background
- 4.4% of people aged 16-75 were unemployed.
For more details see: NI Neighbourhood Information Service
Places of interest
- Killyleagh Castle is a riot of turrets and battlements rising like a fairytale vision above Killyleagh as this amazing Loire-style chateau completely dominates the small village. It is now a private family home, claimed to be the oldest inhabited castle in Ireland. It has been the home of the Hamilton family since the 17th century Plantation of Ulster and acquired its fairy-tale silhouette in the 1850s when the turrets were added, but it is mostly the same castle that the second Earl of Clanbrassil rebuilt in 1666. The castle hosts occasional concerts. In the past performers have included Van Morrison, Glen Hansard and Bap Kennedy.
- Delamont Country Park is just outside Killyleagh on the road to Downpatrick.
Killyleagh is twinned
with Cleveland, North Carolina, USA