Khmelnytskyi (Хмельницький, translit.: Khmel'nyts'kyi; Хмельницкий; Chmielnicki) is a city in Ukraine in the region of Podillia. It is located on the Southern Buh River and about 340km from the Ukrainian capital, Kiev. The town's original name was Proskuriv, later Proskurov, but in 1954 was renamed Khmelnytskyi. It is the center of the Khmelnytskyi Oblast in Ukraine. The alternative transliterations of the name include Khmelnitskiy, Khmelnitsky, and Khmelnytskyy. The city is served by Khmelnytskyi Ruzhichnaya Airport. As of 2005, the city's population is 254,000.
Its total area is 8624 hectares.
On 01.01.2007 the population of the city was 258,300. The average life expectancy of its inhabitants is 65 years for men, and 75 years for women.
The city's birth rate is continuing to grow. In 2006, 2593 children were born.
Due to its geographical location and natural resources Khmelnytskyi has always attracted foreigners, including Turks, Germans, Hungarians, Poles, Lithuanians, Austrians, Swedes and Russians.
The city has a favorable geographical position. The distance from Khmelnytskyi to Kyiv by the railway is , by highway is . The highways Kyiv-Lviv, Odessа-Lviv and Chernivtsi-Kyiv pass through the city. The city has an airport with a 2200 m concrete runway; at the airport there is a check point for crossing the state border of Ukraine.
The city has convenient transport connections with Moscow, Prague, Bratislava, Warsaw, Budapest, Belgrade and all major Ukrainian cities. The city is crossed by one of the longest rivers of Ukraine – the Southern Bug.
The climate of the city is moderate-continental. The average temperature of the air in the warmest month (July) is +20°C, +22°C and in the coldest month (January) is -5°C, -6°C. The maximal temperature in summer reaches +36°C, +38°C, the minimal temperature in winter is -24°C, -30°C. The average annual temperature is +7°C, +8°C. The average annual precipitation is -510mm, -580mm. The most widespread ground making layers are the following overburden: loess and loess-type rocks.
The ground-climatic conditions of the city are favorable for cultivation of winter wheat and rye, sugar beet, potato and other crops and for the development of gardening and vegetable growing.
On the territory of the city there is vegetation of two geobotanical zones of Ukraine: Polissya and forest-steppe.
In the region and in the city there are many rock products, particularly building materials: limestone, plaster, chalk, tripoli powder, crystal layers (granites, gneisses), sand and sandstones, and also graphite, saponite, kaolin, phosphorite, lithographic stone and roofing slate. There are deposits of peat, bitumen, shale and oil.
The volume of the realized industrial output (works, services) in sale prices in 2006 was almost 2 mld hrn., 33.6 % of the total output in the region. The volume of the realized industrial output for 1 person in the city was 7.7 thousand hrn.
The following enterprises have increased their volumes of industrial production: “Khekro Pet LTD.”, OJSC "Ukrelektroaparat", OJSC “JSC Advis”, "Proskuriv-termo" LTD., "Neil" LTD., CJSC “Khmelnytskyi maslosyrbaza”, CJSC “Khmelnytskyi macaroni factory”, "Interprodservice" LTD., "Proskuriv-Agro" LTD., CJSC "Khmelnytsklegprom", SE "Alma-Shkirgalantereya", "Litma" LTD., CE “Factory of building materials”, OJSC "Khmelnytskzalizobeton", OJSC “Plant of building materials ”. The industrial enterprises introduce their own system of quality to meet the state standard ISO 9001, among them OJSC "Ukrelektroaparat", SE "Novator", PE "Vud", CJSC “Khmelnytskyi maslosyrbaza”, CJSC "Interlit", “Tin Impeks” LTD., SE "Alma-Shkirgalantereya", “Khekro Pet LTD.”.
The following enterprises increase the volumes of production due to introduction of new kinds of competitive production and new technologies: the State enterprise "Novator" - they started manufacturing of locomotive radio station, color TVs, electronic counters, etc.; it enabled to increase manufacturing volumes and to create new workplaces.; OJSC "Ukrelektroaparat" - they started manufacturing of new transformer modifications and transformer substation utility; OJSC "Temp" - they started operating a line of circuit-boards mechanization, a line of circuit-boards chemical and galvanic metallization.
OJSC "Vzuteks" introduced a new bite technology and new footwear models. CJSC "Khmelnytsklegprom" introduced an automated process of fabrics laying and cutting. Among the enterprises of building industry in the city the powerful place in the rates of industrial output volumes increase is occupied by CE “Factory of building materials”, OJSC "Khmelnytskzalizobeton", OJSC “Plant of building materials”. The enterprise of the chemical industry “Khekro Pet LTD.” occupies a sufficient position in the total volumes of industrial production of the city.
The consumer market is characterized by high level of foodstuffs and nonfoods saturation, stable provision, the lack of goods shortage. The quality of services for people has improved.
The significant place in satisfaction of the population in goods belongs to the markets. The foodstuffs and nonfoods markets are gradually transformed into the trading-service complexes.
The main task in the sphere of trade, public catering and services is further development of home market of consumer goods and services, formation of the effective civilized trading-marketing infrastructure, capable to provide a high level of servicing people according to their needs. We continue to bring order to trading network, uncivilized forms of trade disappear. The branched network of modern supermarkets, trade houses and centers, specialized public catering establishments and services is formed.
On 01.01.2007 there was the following number of retail trade enterprises in the city:
- Shops in foodstuffs trade - 598;
- Shops in nonfoods trade - 634;
- Shopping centers - 16.
- Restaurants - 440.
- Markets - 42.
Objects of small-wholesale trade:
- Kiosks - 765;
- Departments - 765;
- Tents, stands - 183.
Consumer services establishments - 266.
The number of the workplaces created in these sphere in 2006 - 3110.
Business is one of the effective factors to decide such economic and social problems as structural reorganization of economy, formation of economic and social basis for acceleration of goods and services saturation at the market, development of competition, ensuring of people employment. Small business is the sector which dynamically develops and strengthens the economy of the city.
According to the united state register on 01.01.2007 the total number of legal persons makes 6275 units and 26277 physical persons. In 2006 there were registered 4875 subjects of business activity, including 410 legal persons and 4465 physical persons; there were canceled 625 subjects of business activity, including 189 legal persons and 436 physical persons.
About half of small enterprises functions in the sphere of trade, services and restaurant business.
Small business plays a significant role in replenishing budgets of all levels, in particular of the city budget. The total amount of takings from business structures by certain articles to the general fund takings of the city budget makes 34.6 %.
7583 subjects of business activity work using the simplified taxation system including 1399 legal persons and 5611 physical persons. The total sum of takings in the budget from the subjects of business activity who worked using the simplified taxation system made 14.5 mln. hrn.
19 credit unions carry out their activity in the city; they give credits for the development of small business. Together with the Chamber of Commerce and Industry the exhibitions-fairs with the participation of the subjects of business activity are carried out.
The enterprises (legal persons) of the city
|Sphere of the economy||Density of the enterprises to all enterprises of the city, %|
|Wholesale and retail trade||39.1|
|Operations with the real estate, rent services||17.5|
|Transport and communication||4.4|
|Collective, public and personal services||2.9|
|Hotels and restaurants||2.7|
|Public health services and the social help||1.6|
|Other spheres of activity||3.3|
Khmelnytskyi is a very interesting and hospitable city which is always glad to welcome tourists. On the territory of the city there is a future prospect for the development of certain kinds of tourism: youth, children, family, green, cultural-cognitive.
Proskurivska street, a modern central pedestrian street of the city, preserved buildings of the end of the ХІХ - the beginnings of XX century in the styles of modernist, eclecticisms, Baroque, stone (characteristic only for Proskuriv). The house of the former Oleksiyivske real school (now it is the building of the City Executive Committee) and the house where O.Brusilov stayed (the House of Ceremonial events) have been preserved. There are remarkable cult constructions, such as the church of Christmas of the Virgin (the first stone construction in the city), the Protection cathedral, St.- Georgiy and Andriy Pervozvannyi churches ("Dubovo" district). On the territory of the city there are old cemeteries of different religions.
On 01.01.2007 the number of state registered relics in Khmelnytskyi city is the following: archeological relics - 2;
historical relics - 953;
relics of monumental art - 12;
comprised in the complex of national property - 5;
located separately - 46;
of local significance - 967.
There are many relics of monumental art connected with the Great Patriotic War. They are Eternal Fire (1974, Proskurivska str., sculptors M.Hrytsyuk, Y.Synkevych, architect Snytsariv), the Eternal Fame Monument (sculptor V.Znoba, architects V.Hromyhin, Y.Perehrest), Military cemetery, the Tank monument in honor of military troops which liberated the city, the panorama of Proskuriv-Chernivtsi battle.
Today the city becomes more original due to the sculptural works of Borys and Mykola Mazur. They are the Angel of grief (to the victims of repressions), to the Soldiers-internationalists, to the Chornobyl firemen. The monuments to T.Shevchenko, B.Khmelnytskyi belong to the monuments of new time (1993, sculptor V.Borysenko, architect M.Kopyla).
The view of the city is successfully beautified with modern architectural forms of the apartment buildings, unordinary banks designs. Visitors and the inhabitants of the city have an opportunity to use hotel complexes "Lybid-Plaza", "Podillya", "Eneyida"; the network of private hotels and places of spending leisure time as well as cafes and restaurants is developing.
- availability of the powerful industrial potential, the developed building industry, transport system of the city and business activity;
- high scientific-educational, professional and cultural level of the population, good potential of specialists;
- attractiveness of the city environment, its architecture and design;
- convenient railway communication with the European capitals;
- qualitative support of the investors by the city authorities;
- availability of geopolitical and administrative potential of the development;
- developed financial infrastructure of the city;
- free approach to the property of the city community;
- availability of the significant financial resources at the population and business which can be involved as the share capital.
It is profitable to invest funds in the development of the following spheres:
- hotel business;
- food industry;
- chemical and oil refining industry;
Considering the perspective directions of the city development, it is necessary to take into account, that in the spheres which have achieved significant economical and financial results, the growth reserves cannot be permanent, that’s why the adjacent spheres are of investors’ interest.
Quite good perspective for the investments in Khmelnytskyi is such spheres as:
- manufacture of building materials;
- light industry;
Regarding the fact that the volume of the production in these spheres in the city is small they are quite a good variant for investments of additional funds for the development of these spheres of manufacture.
Due to the foundation of joint enterprises and to production of qualitative production it is possible to receive free approach to the market in the city and outside.
In 2006 the enterprises of the city exported their production to 39 countries of the world.
The largest amount of goods was exported to the CIS countries (68.8 % of the total export sum of Ukraine), to the European Union there was exported 23.5% of goods.
There are the following countries-partners to which it was exported the largest amount of goods:
The CIS - Armenia, the Russian Federation, Byelorussia, Lithuania, Moldova;
EU - Sweden, Germany, Luxembourg, the Czech Republic, France, Netherlands, Austria, Hungary, Belgium, Greece, Italy, Finland, Estonia, Spain, Latvia;
Europe - Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Switzerland; America - the USA; Asia - Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Turkey, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Tadjikistan, Uzbekistan, Israel, the United Arab Emirates.
In 2006 the enterprise of the city imported production from 37 countries of the world.
The largest amount of goods was imported from the EU countries (54.1 % of the total import).
The share of the CIS countries production makes 22.2 %, the third region is Asia (20.9 %).
On 01.01.2007 foreign investments at the enterprises of Khmelnytskyi made $58.3 mln. The biggest investors of the city are: Liechtenstein, Virginia British Isles, Cyprus and Poland.
In the city the effective investment and industrial policy is pursued; the basic purpose of it is structural reorganization of the economy, formation of the economic complex according to the available natural, labor, infrastructural resources, as one of the sources of the city development, preservation and escalating of the existing capacities on the basis of competent and regular attraction of both internal and external investments. The main goal of the industrial and investment policy of the city is to ensure the stable economic growth and raising of people standards of life.
The primary tasks of the investment policy are:
- The transformation of the city into harmoniously developed center of modern territory according to the European standards with diversified specialization in machine-building, radio-electronic, chemical and oil-refining industry and food industry.
- Complete satisfaction of one’s own needs in foodstuffs, certain kinds of modern agricultural machines, considerable increase of their exporting and deliveries to national fund. - Creation of modern, industrial complex integrated into the world manufacture.
- Introduction of structural reorganization innovative model of the city economy.
- Closing and reshaping of the industrial enterprises with out-of-date high power inputs technologies and noncompetitive production.
- Technical re-equipment and reconstruction of the old enterprises of processing sphere. Bringing their capacities to conformity with the resources of agricultural raw materials.
- Further development of one’s own basis in building materials manufacture due to rational use of local deposits of mineral building raw materials, re-structuring of the building industry enterprises.
- Improvement of the territorial structure and allocation of productive forces with the purpose of maximal self-provision of the city with own funds.
- The attractive investment climate ensuring and the development of the infrastructure to support the investment activity. - The intellectual potential strengthening and the development of new high technologies.
- Coordination in social, economic, town-planning and ecological aspects of the city development.
- Rational use of land, water and recreation natural resources; creation of the conditions for their restoration.
- Improvement of the city social infrastructure with the purpose of creation of the conditions for the development of preschool education, education, culture, public health services, physical training and rest, improvement of the demographic situation.
- Increase in the level of provision with the habitation, regarding the needs and opportunities of different layers of the population.
- Preservation and rational use of the available housing, other houses and buildings, reconstruction and modernization of the out-of-date buildings regarding social standards and sanitary-and-hygienic conditions.
- Improvement of the industrial infrastructure with insuring its economic efficiency and social orientation, creation of appropriate conditions for the development of enterprises of all patterns of ownership for productive employment of the population, restoration of personnel and scientific potential, adequate number of workplaces.
- Improvement of the transport infrastructure, in particular, the development of all kinds of passenger transport of general purpose; insuring the city and inter-city connections as well as the connection of the rural settlements with the city and between themselves.
- Development of the engineering infrastructure (introduction of new technologies, networks and constructions of power supply, thermal supply, water supply and sewer system).
- Introduction of the city engineering-technical provision energy-conserving systems.
- Regulation of the process of the city planning and building through the development of the general plan, other town-planning documentation and local rules of building, control of their realization (regarding the state, public and private interests).
- Stipulation of the development of national features of town-planning and architecture.
- Protection and rational use of relics of Khmelnytskyi cultural heritage.
- Formation of the valuable vital environment, balancing of social and economic development of Khmelnytskyi.
- Improvement of the sanitary-and-hygienic and ecological conditions of the city, creation of the conditions which are safe for life and health of people, introduction of modern systems of collecting, withdrawal, processing and neutralization of waste products.
- Ensuring of protection against the adverse natural phenomena, prevention of technogeneous failures and liquidation of their consequences.
- Carrying out of scientific researches which would stipulate the settling of social and economic, ecological and other problems.
- Realization of international cooperation.
To the investment priorities of the city we can refer:
- introduction of highly effective technologies in manufacture;
- building of habitations;
- medicine and public health services;
- educational activity;
- development of public catering and consumer services.