The settlement itself was created by William Carman, a blacksmith working at a copper mine near Williamstown, who took advantage of the area's location on the busy road to the Barossa Valley to build a blacksmith shop and wheelwright in 1851. By 1858, some settlers had arrived and Carman gave some of his land to build a town. His preferred choice of name was Maidstone after his home town in Kent, but in 1917 the town was renamed to the locals' preferred choice of Kersbrook. It became a notable agricultural area, especially for fruit.
Kersbrook is today a fairly quiet rural town, where most of the old buildings still stand.
At the ABS 2001 census, Kersbrook had a population of 314 people living in 120 dwellings.
About 10 km north of Kersbrook is the 353-hectare Warren Conservation Park, a rugged nature reserve with views over the Warren Gorge which was dedicated in 1966 and protects a range of rare fauna.
There is also a pine plantation nearby, which is now part of the Mount Crawford Forest.
Australia Tender Notice: Department of Education and Children's Services Seeks "Provision of Cleaning Services at Kersbrook Primary School"
Oct 08, 2010; Northern Territory, Australia, Oct. 8 -- Department of Education and Children's Services is soliciting services for "Provision of...