Kemsing was the birthplace in AD 961 of Saint Edith of Wilton; and one of the focal points of the village is St. Edith's Well. The village church, Saxon in origin, is however dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. The area around the well includes the war memorial, the village hall (with its statue of St Edith in front), post office and two pubs, The Wheatsheaf and The Bell. To the east of the village centre is the Mark Collet Sports Pavilion, with tennis and squash courts, and a large green used for cricket and football.
The main roads in the village are West End, Dynes Road and Childsbridge Lane. Along West End can be found a vet, mechanic (previously a petrol station) and a newsagent's. At the end of Dynes Road there is another newsagent's, convenience store, draper's, three takeaway restaurants and a post office, which are all collectively known as Dynes Parade.
One kilometre south-east of the village lies Kemsing railway station. The M26 motorway passes through the parish. It is a key stopping-off point on the North Downs Way which runs north of the village along Pilgrims' Way.
The village lies in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and Kemsing Down Reserve, managed by Kemsing Parish Council and Sevenoaks District Council, lies above the village on the North Downs. It is reached from Childsbridge Lane, and is an area of chalk grassland.
The Women's Institute organisation opened its first institute in England in Kemsing in December 1915.