Definitions

Kelvindale

Kelvindale

Kelvindale (Dail Chealbhainn in Gaelic) is a district in the west of the city of Glasgow in Scotland. Construction started in the early 1930s by MacTaggart and Mickel. The houses were intended for rent rather than for sale, they consisted of semi detached villas. A proportion of these houses were set aside for rent by Glasgow Corporation. The Corporation extended the building down Kelvindale Road towards Collins Paper Mill. Subsequently in the 1930s the Western Heritable Investment Company extended the district considerably by building the last range of pre war tenements at Dorchester Avenue, Ripon Drive etc between 1934 and 1938. These tenements are unique since they are built on concrete rafts due to the heavy mine workings in the district from the Garscube estate. They were planned as four storey but due to Scots Law they were reduced to three stories.

The district is dominated by the gasometers (erected in 1891) which were reputed to be the biggest in the United Kingdom. During the Second World War the Royal Air Force stationed a balloon unit on what is now ex MOD housing on Dorchester Avenue. The large fields were once used for grazing horses and cattle but are now the site of more tenement building and the Kelvindale Primary School. Former Glasgow Caledonian University Hall of Residence Gibson Hall, which stood on Dorchester Avenue, was recently demolished to make way for new build. Flanders House, built for soldiers of the Great War, was demolished in 2006 and has been replaced by a modern construction. The area is locally termed "Little England" due to the streets being named after English place names. This was a ploy to attract workers for Barr and Stroud optical works at Anniesland, Rolls Royce building at Hillington and the shipyards on the Clyde. In the early 2000s it remains a desirable family area near the city's West End.

A railway station was opened on 26 September 2005 to serve Kelvindale. It runs from Glasgow Queen Street (High Level) to Anniesland, an extension of the Maryhill Line. The number 11 bus runs through the area into the city centre.

Kelvindale contains St John's Renfield Church, Glasgow Nuffield Hospital, Cleveden Secondary School and Kelvindale Primary School.

In recent years, at Cleveden Secondary School and Kelvindale Primary School, the ash football pitches have been sold and replaced by new astroturf pitches.

Historic images of the Kelvindale area can be found on the Virtual Mitchell website.

Search another word or see Kelvindaleon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature