Kecel is a town in Bács-Kiskun county, in southern Hungary.
Croats in Hungary call this town Kecelj.
The first documents mentioning Kecel date back to 1198
. Like many other Hungarian towns, Kecel has lost its population during the Turkish Conquest
. On April 22
, 1734 Gábor Patachich
, the bishop of Kalocsa
issued papers reestablishing the town of Kecel. At the time, most people made their living by keeping domesticated animals
. However, the rising population made this extremely hard, so people committed themselves to farming
which still remains the main industry
in Kecel. In 1802
a number of new buildings were built including: the Roman Catholic
church, the Town Hall, the first school
, post office, and the police and fire stations. The railroad
also reached Kecel.
As of the census
of 2001, there were 9,259 people and 3,600 households.