Puthupadi Church-one of the famous church in Malabar Diocese(Malankara Orthodox Church),has more than 350 active houses now and most of them live around 3km distance. Others are from different areas like “Nooramthode”, “Chippilithode”, “Adivaram”, “Manalvayal”, ”Kaithappoyil”, ”Kannoth”, ”Theyyappara”, ”Thamarassery”, “Ambayathode”, ”Chamal”, ”Poolode”, “Payona”, “Kakkad”, ”Kakkavayal”, ”Kozhikode”.
The History of the St. George’s Orthodox Church begins with the history of settlers of Malabar, The 1930s witnessed the exodus of settlers from Travancore - Cochin area to Malabar The hard working agriculturists from these places left their native lands and settled in the virgin land of the hills and valleys of Kozhikode, Kannur and Wayanad Districts. Unmindful of the vagaries of nature they toiled in the farmlands and occasionally longed for the church bells. They started establishing worshipping places here and small parishes developed.
"Manamel"was one of the families among settlers owned estates and agricultural plantations and a company formed to run this plantations spread between Thamarassery-Puduppady-Adivaram area of Kozhikode-Mysore national Highway. Many settlers worked with the company were from Travancore and were Christians. “Manamel” family had an intention to build a church in the name of St.George for all the community around and was selected M.C Pothen and M. C Chandy to find a place for the Church.
In 1942 Marthoma Metropolitan of that arena was traveling through the Kozhikode-Mysore highway and happened to visit “Manamel” Family. Mr. M. C Pothen and M C Chandy had conveyed their intentions to his holiness and he visited and prayed at the proposed land for church. In the same year “Manamel” family donated of land for the church and constructed a small chapel and cemetery adjacent to it. Even then the chapel was constructed for the company employees; this was the only church around for all Christian denominations.