(Greek, Modern: Καλούσι), older forms: -o
also with the second a accented is a Greek
village built over two mountains in the southcentral Achaea
prefecture and is built on the foot of mount Erymanthos
. Kalousi is also in the municipality of Farres
. Kalousi is located south of Patras
, west of Kalavryta
, northwest of Tripoli
, north of Lampeia
and northeast of Pyrgos
. The GR-33
(Patras - Tripoli) is to the west. Kalousi had a 2001 population of was 335 for the village, its area is 22.41 km² and its density was 14.95/km².
These settlement do not contain offices and have never been as part of a subdivision:
- Kakiza (Κάκιζα)
- G(k)otseika or G(k)otsaiika (Γκοτσαίικα)
Kalousi was ruled by the Ottoman Turks until the Greek War of Independence of 1821.
After World War II and the Greek Civil War, much of the population left for larger towns and cities especially the nearby Patras. The population declined until 1991, but it slowly recovered by 20% between 1991 and 2001.
Houses were stone-built until the 1950s and did not surpass modern-style homes until the 1980s. It was linked with pavement in the 1980s.
Its main production are olives alond with fruits including watermelon, melon, figs and vegetables including corn, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, cucumbers and others as well as dairy, livestock and others in small numbers, much of the farlmands are mainly groves and vines. The majority of the population are based in agriculture as well as some other businesses.
Kalousi has a school , a church, and a square (plateia
). Its nearest lyceum (middle school), a nearest school gymnasium (secondary school) are in Chalandritsa
, its nearest hospital is in Patras