The "D" in KBSD stands for Dodge City.
KBSD began on July 24, 1957, as KTVC, licensed to Ensign with a studio and transmitter at Dodge City. Cowles Broadcasting purchased KTVC in 1962 and united it with KTVH Hutchison (now KWCH), KLOE Goodland and KAYS Hays to form the Kansas Broadcasting System. In the mid-1980s, KTVC's call letters were changed to KBSD, to reflect the regional identities of the other KBS satellites (KLOE became KBSL; KAYS became KBSH).
KTVC/KBSD produced a full local newscast for many years, in addition to carrying the newscast from KTVH/KWCH. More recently, the station has been downsized to contribution reports to the Wichita newscast and web content supplied through KWCH.COM. Master control and commercial scheduling functions for KBSD are now handled through a fully digital operating system based at KWCH in Wichita.
On April 6, 2006, previous owner Media General announced that, in addition to acquiring four NBC owned-and-operated stations, Media General would be selling four of its TV stations. KWCH (including its satellites, which all count as one station) was one of them A deal was made for them to be sold to Schurz, who completed the acquisition on September 25 2006.