The castle was founded during 12th century. Between 14th and 15th century, first cottages appeared below the castle and the hamlet got known as Budy. Nearby hamlet Čamrdoves grew up, and during 17th and 18th century they became one village. In 1886 the hamlets Budy, Amalín, Čamrdoves, and Častonice created one single administrative unit, the village of Křivoklát.
The market town is a popular tourist destination today and also is the seat of the Křivoklátsko Landscape Protected Area (Chráněná krajinná oblast Křivoklátsko).