In the World of Greyhawk campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, Johydee is the Oeridian goddess of Deception, Espionage, and Protection.
Johydee can take any form, but usually appears as a young woman with grey eyes and honey-blonde hair. Though she comes off as mischievous and flighty, this is little more than a mask to hide her true intentions. Her allies are few, and she never sides with evil.
Clergy and temples
Johydee is worshiped mainly in Oeridian lands, especially in Sunndi
, and other (former) nations of the Iron League
. The chameleon is her sacred animal, and her symbol is a mask of stylized onyx.
Johydee's priests often work as spies for powerful patrons. Skilled at deception, they enjoy opportunities in which they can pretend to be someone else. Many take on different identities in different cities. They thwart tyrants, seek information on renowned evil-doers, and humble the overly-prideful and ambitious. Johydee's priests tend to ignore a person's apparent status and treat everyone equally, due to their familiarity with deception and subterfuge. The priesthood's preferred weapon is the shortsword.
Long before the Oeridians migrated into the Flanaess
, when they still dwelt in western Oerik
, the greatest Oeridian nation was ruled by servants of evil deities. Eventually, Johydee, a wise priestess whose deity is lost to time, tricked the oppressors into creating a magical mask. Johydee used this mask to free the Oeridians from their dark overlords.
Johydee is known to have authored the following works:
- Mental Impressions of the Retina
is an artifact
, a full face mask of an unknown opaque material shaded gray. It makes the wearer totally immune to all forms of gaze attacks. The mask also allows the wearer to assume the guise of a humanoid being, from gnome
to hill giant
- Brown, Anne. Player's Guide (TSR, 1998).
- Conforti, Steven, ed. Living Greyhawk Official Listing of Deities for Use in the Campaign, version 2.0 (Wizards of the Coast, 2005). Available online: http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/LG_Deities.zip
- Cook, David. Book of Artifacts. (TSR, 1993).
- Gygax, Gary. Dungeon Master's Guide (TSR, 1979).
- Gygax, Gary. World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting (TSR, Inc.TSR, 1983).
- Heard, Bruce. "Spells Between the Covers." Dragon #82 (TSR, 1984).
- Holian, Gary, Erik Mona, Sean K Reynolds, and Frederick Weining. Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (Wizards of the Coast, 2000).
- Reynolds, Sean K, and Chris Pramas. Slavers (TSR, 2000).
- Reynolds, Sean K, Frederick Weining, and Erik Mona. "Blood of Heroes." Living Greyhawk Journal #3 (Paizo Publishing, 2001).
- Sargent, Carl. Ivid the Undying (TSR, unpublished). Available online: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads