John Stewart, 1st Earl of Lennox.
(b. bef. 1430, d. 8 Jul/11 Sep 1495) Was created Lord Darnley
and Earl of Lennox
. Stewart was the son of Sir Alan Stuart
and Catherine Seton
On 15 May 1438 Stewart married Margaret Montgomerie, the daughter of Alexander Montgomerie, 1st Lord Montgomerie, and Margaret Boyd, by indenture as both parties were underage.
They had eight children:
- Lady Marion Stuart, b. bef. 1460.
- Robert Stuart, 4th Seigneur d'Aubigny, b. c. 1470, d. 1543.
- Sir John Stewart, Seigneur d'Oison, b. bef. 1446, d. c. 1512.
- Elizabeth Stuart, b. bef. 1476.
- Matthew Stewart, 2nd Earl of Lennox, b. bef. 5 May 1488, d. 9 Sep 1513, Flodden.
- Sir William Stewart, Seigneur d'Oison, b. bef. 1495, d. bef. 1504.
- Alexander Stewart, b. bef. 1495, d. bef. 1509.
- Lady Elizabeth Stewart, b. bef. 1495.
G. E. Cokayne et al., The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct, or Dormant. (Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton, 2000) I:313, 328; VII:594, 596.
Charles Mosley, ed., Burke's Peerage, Baronetage, and Knightage. 107th ed. 3 vols. (Wilmington, DE: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd., 2003) I:601.