John Forrest

John Forrest

[fawr-ist, for-]
Dillon, John Forrest, 1831-1914, American jurist, b. Montgomery co., N.Y., M.D. State Univ. of Iowa, 1850. He abandoned medical practice early in his career and was admitted to the Iowa bar in 1852. Dillon was an Iowa state judge (1858-68) and a U.S. circuit judge (1869-79). During his judicial career he wrote Municipal Corporations (1872), one of the earliest systematic studies on this subject, and Removal of Cases from State Courts to Federal Courts (1876). He was (1879-82) a professor in the Columbia Law School, and president of the American Bar Association from 1891 to 1892.
Forrest, John Forrest, 1st Baron, 1847-1918, Australian explorer and statesman. In 1869 he led an expedition to the west of Lake Barlee in search of the missing Friedrich Leichhardt, and the following year he returned from Perth along the Great Bight to Adelaide. After other explorations he became surveyor general of Western Australia (1883) and its first premier (1890-1901). In 1901 he became postmaster general of the commonwealth. Successively he was commonwealth minister of defense (1901-3), minister of home affairs (1903-4), and treasurer (1905-7, 1909-10, 1913-14, and 1917-18). His writings include Explorations in Australia (1875) and Western Australia (1884-87).

See biography by F. K. Crowley (1971).

John Forrest is a national park in Western Australia (Australia), 24 km east of Perth. It was the first national park in Western Australia and the second in Australia after Royal National Park.


As early as 1898, the land was reserved for conservation and recreation. Two years later it was named Greenmount National Park and several years later the name was changed to commemorate Sir John Forrest, the first Premier of Western Australia.


On the edge of the Darling Scarp east of Perth, north of the Great Eastern Highway. The suburb to the west is known as Swan View with Pechey Road as a natural western boundary. To the south of the Great Eastern Highway the suburbs adjacent are Darlington and Glen Forrest. To the east Hovea is the adjacent suburb.


It was dissected by the Eastern Railway when it was constructed in the 1890s and rail traffic passed through until 1966, when the line was closed due to the opening of the Avon Valley route.

The alignment through the Swan View Tunnel and through the park was commonly known as the 'National Park' railway line.

During the Depression (1930s) many features near the main park buildings were built as part of relief employment. Some have been restored. It also has a Tavern.

It was a very popular railway excursion location while the railway was in existence (1890s to 1960s). Initially Hovea was the nearest railway station but in 1936 the National Park railway station was built. Also often photographed were National Park Falls, and the Hovea Falls.

After the railway line was closed and removed the formation became part of the Railway Reserve Heritage Trail vested in the Mundaring Shire Council. The section within the park is now known as the John Forrest Heritage Trail. There are also the Glen Brook Walk Trail and the Eage View Walk Trail within the park.

Current Conditions

While larger fauna Kangaroos remain, significant populations of smaller marsupials have been decimated by foxes, feral cats and dogs in this park.

Also drought and dieback have affected the jarrah forest within the park. At the edges of the park, introduced species of weed, and problematic vegetation threaten the integrity of the park.

Also with rationalising of staff within DEC management, earlier levels of staffing on parks such as this one has been reduced to minimal levels.

Significant damaging bushfires occurred in the western and northern sections of the park in the 1990s and early 2000s..

Access to the Tavern and facilities area requires payment, whereas the scenic drive through the park remains free.

Fact sheet

  • Area:
    • 27 km²
    • 6 671.8 acre
    • 2 700 hectare
  • Coordinates:
  • Date of establishment: 1957
  • Managing authorities: Department of Environment and Conservation
  • IUCN category: II

See also

External links



  • Elliot, Ian (1983). Mundaring - A History of the Shire. 2nd ed., Mundaring: Mundaring Shire. ISBN 0-9592776-0-9.
  • Watson, Lindsay (1995). The railway history of Midland Junction : commemorating the centenary of Midland Junction, 1895-1995. Swan View, W.A: ISBN 0-646-24461-2 (pbk.).

Further reading

  • (1939) Beautiful National Park : Darling Range, Western Australia. issued by the State Gardens Board, Perth, Western Australia.

Search another word or see John Forreston Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2015, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature