(باغ جناح ) (or Jinnah
's Garden) is a historical park in the city of Lahore
. It was formerly known as Lawrence Gardens
. Today, the large green space
contains a botanical
garden, a mosque
, and Jinnah library situated in a Victorian building
There are also entertainment and sports facilities within the park that comprise of an open-air theatre, a restaurant, tennis courts and the Gymkhana Cricket Ground. It is located on Lawrence Road next to Lahore Zoo, directly across from the Governor's House on The Mall.
Originally built as botanical garden modelled on Kew Gardens, it was named after John Lawrence, Viceroy of India from 1864 to 1869. The place used to hold his statue, which was later moved to Foyle and Londonderry College in Northern Ireland.
Jinnah Garden Lahore that is situated on 141 Acrs at this time, earlier it was in 176 acres, but the land was given to Lahore zoo, botanical garden govt. college university Lahore and to roads alongside the garden. now it is almost the plant area except roads building is 121 Acres. it is most beautiful and well managed botanical garden in Pakistan.
it has almost 150 varieties of trees, 140 types of shrubs, 50 types of creepers, 30 palms, almost 100 succulent and about same indoor along with almost all varieties of annual flowers. garden has a good name in Chrysanthemum shows, it was the first institute that started growing chrysanthemum and maximum no of varieties for it.
it has 3 nurseries, 4 hilloaks in it.
it has two libraries, quaid-e-azam library and Daruslam in it.
- The park hosts a famous cricket ground since 1885, built for the entertainment of government officers and civil servants. The ground maintained its Test Status from 1955 till 1959 when the venue moved to Gaddafi Stadium.
- The park receives a nostalgic mention of the 1970s and 1980s life in Bano Qudsia's remarkable urdu novel Raja Gidh.
- The Park has a Tomb of Shia' Sufi Known as Baba Turat Muraad Shah, with a heavy number of visitors.
Below are some pictures of Bagh-e-Jinnah: