Formerly the quai de Javel, after the town of Javel formerly on the site (this developed in 1485 out of the village of Javetz and its small port and boat yard), it was renamed in honour of the car manufacturer André Citroën (1878 - 1935).
It was originally called Javel after the town that developed out of a hamlet called Javetz in
The quai's axis is largely north-east to south-west. It continues in the north into quai de Grenelle, at pont de Grenelle, and to the south by quai d'Issy-les-Moulineaux at pont du Garigliano. Pont Mirabeau also joins to the Quai André-Citroën. The whole of this quai along the Seine is occupied by the port de Javel.