The second garden was surrounded by walls and proved to be too small. In 1794, thanks to the naturalist Philippe Picot of Lapeyrouse, the Botanical garden were relocated into an almost identical enclosure to that which it now occupies. This included part of the old enclosure of the exposed Carmelite friars. Consisting of a collection of 1 300 species, both local and acclimatised, the site became both a large Botanical garden and also a place where the poorest of the city could collect medicinal plants.
The garden was shrunk slightly in 1885 due to the construction of the Faculty of Medicine towards the Jules-Guesde alley, however around the same time it increased in size towards the Large Alley. The garden was transformed for the arrival of the international exhibition of 1887, becoming a park.
When it was moved at this place, it was apart from the enclosure of the city, now it is in full center in a zone of very dense habitat mixing old constructions (Street Ozenne, All J Guesde) and the more recent buildings (Holy Port Saver).
It is bordered by the Medical school, the Natural history museum, the Daniel-Sorano theatre and the Saint-Exupère church.
It is very close to Boulingrin but a broad avenue separates them. A metal footbridge makes it possible for pedestrians to travel between the two public parks.
The Garden has several old buildings or vestiges. The Natural History Museum dates to the end of the 16th century. The entrance door in the garden is a reconstitution of one of the doors of old Capitole, and dates back to 1886. The Northern door at Ozenne street was drawn by Virebent.