James W. Sire
) is a Christian author and speaker. He wrote The Universe Next Door
, a textbook on world views
used at over one hundred colleges and universities in courses ranging from apologetics and world religions to history and English literature.
Sire received his PhD from the University of Missouri. He has taught English, philosophy, theology and short courses at many universities and seminaries, and was formerly a senior editor at InterVarsity Press. He continues to be a frequent guest lecturer in the United States and Europe.
His books include:
- The Universe Next Door ISBN 978-0830827800. Over a quarter of a million copies in print, now in its fourth edition and translated into several languages.
- Scripture Twisting
- Discipleship of the Mind, (IVP, 1990) "How do we love God with all our minds? A serious look at the academic enterprise from a Christian perspective. Very helpful and thought-provoking
- Chris Chrisman Goes to College
- Why Should Anyone Believe Anything at All?
- Habits of the Mind: Intellectual Life as a Christian
- Naming the Elephant: Worldview as a Concept
- Learning to Pray Through the Psalms
- Vaclav Havel (a biography of the Czech Republic's former philosopher-president)