Prof. M. Jaffar-ur-Rehman (Late) was Professor and Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and Sciences atMohammad Ali Jinnah University, Pakistan. He was martyred in the sad and tragic incident of the devastating earthquake of October 8, 2005, along with his family.
Prof. M. Jaffar-ur-Rehman was also the founder of Center for Software Dependability (CSD), which pioneered research in the domain of Software Dependability and Reliability in Pakistan. CSD was founded in June 2003, and since then it has flourished at a rapid pace, with numerous publications in Journals and Conferences of International repute. The current head of CSD is Dr. Aamer Nadeem, a former PhD student of Prof. M. Jaffar-ur-Rehman himself.
- Topped Quaid-e-Azam University by setting an all-time Computer Science Dept. record of a CGPA of 4.9 on a scale of 5.0.
- Awarded Quaid-e-Azam Scholarship for higher studies abroad.
- Offered Lectureship at Quaid-e-Azam University.
- Went to USA for his MS and PhD.
- Joined University of Pennsylvania, Moors School, Philadelphia, USA.
- Completed MS in just one year by securing a CGPA of 3.9 on a scale of 4.0.
- Taught in Australia for around 3 years during his PhD.
- Came back to Pakistan after completing his PhD and taught at Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad, Bahauddin Zikaria University, Multan, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), and was finally working as Dean Faculty of Engineering and Sciences, Mohammad Ali Jinnah University, Pakistan.
Prof. M. Jaffar-ur-Rehman's primary research interests were Software reliability, dependability, and testing. He was also interested in Operating Systems and methodologies for Systems Analysis, Architecture and Design. Following is a small list of his research accomplishments within a span of 3 years only:
- Has more than 24 journal, conference, and workshop publications of International repute to his name in just a small span of two years.
- Guest Co-Editor ACTA Special Issue on Software Reliability, 2005.
- General Chair IEEE International Conference on Engineering of Intelligent Systems (ICEIS'2006), 2006.
- Program Committee member, ACM/IEEE 8th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems (MoDELS'2005), Colorado, USA, 2005.
- Chaired Session at International Conference on Software Engineering and Applications (ICSEA'2004), Islamabad, Pakistan, 2004.