The Jacob Aldrich House
, also known as the J. Aldrich House
, is an historic house located at 389 Aldrich Street, in Uxbridge, Massachusetts
. On January 20
, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places
The Aldrich family were Quakers
and their community included their homes, businesses including the Jacob Aldrich Farm (and Orchard) at 389 Aldrich Street which is a light colored brick home made in a kiln nearby on River Road. The Jacob Aldrich Farm and Orchard is located on Massachusetts Route 98
, and is one of 53 sites on the National Historic Register
in the historic town of Uxbridge. Uxbridge was first settled in 1662. It is considered a "Quaker Style Architecture", is made of brick, and is part of a village of simmilar homes from the 18th and 19th century.
In the 1820-30s, nearby Aldrich Village sprang up as a community of the extended family of the Aldriches. . The Aldrich family began in America in Mendon with George Aldrich, and the family eventually became a political force(see the article on the Seth Aldrich House for more info). The Aldrich family were Quakers
and their community included their homes, businesses including the Jacob Aldrich Farm (and Orchard) at 389 Aldrich Street which is a light colored brick home made in a kiln nearby on River Road. 364 Aldrich Street was owned by Daniel Aldrich who ran a saw mill, a blacksmith shop and a wheelwright shop which produced numerous products such as roof shingles, wagons, lumber
. 364 Aldrich is also on the Historic Register as are several other homes in this vicity. For a more complete listing of these older Quaker Homes on the National Register in Uxbridge, please see the link below for local historic listings. A one room schoolhouse was in the community as was an ice house cutting and storing ice from Aldrich Pond. 317 Aldrich Street was the Seth Aldrich House
and the family cemetery `is on Glendale Street.