In 1860 Wray brought in Charles James Ward, the son of his brother, to run the business side of the company. Ward was a dynamic and gifted entrepreneur, and under his leadership J. Wray and Nephew began a period of growth and prosperity. Wray retired in 1862 and died in 1870 leaving Ward as the sole proprietor of the business. .
Ward developed his heritage - a tavern and liquor-dealing concern, into one of Jamaica's largest commercial enterprises and a company that enjoyed international success. At the International Exhibition held in London in 1862, J. Wray and Nephew won three gold medals for its 10, 15 and 25 year old rums. The Company's rums also won several awards and prizes at international exhibitions in Paris - 1878, Amsterdam - 1883, New Orleans - 1885 and Jamaica 1891.
In 1916, the Lindo Brothers & Co purchased Wray & Nephew. Almost immediately thereafter, the new company, J. Wray & Nephew Ltd., purchased the Appleton Estate - the oldest and most famous of all Jamaica's sugarcane estates.
Rums currently produced by J. Wray & Nephew include
Appleton Estate Rums are still produced on the Estate, which encompasses over of sugarcane, a sugarcane refinery, and the Distillery. .
Another popular drink containing Wray and Nephew’s is the cocktail “Colonel of the Ghurka” It is mixed in a pitcher and contains one shot of Wray and Nephew’s and another of Jagermeister, two shots of Southern Comfort, and two bottles of WKD Blue, then top up with a can of Red Bull or Lemonade.