Iwade

Iwade, Wakayama

is a city located in Wakayama, Japan.

At the end of July 2006, the city had a population of 51,496. The total area is 38.50km².

Negoroji temple was founded in 12th century. (see also Negoro-gumi, Siege of Negoroji.) The Kinokawa River flows along the south of Iwade.

Iwade was formerly located within the former Naga District until April 1, 2006, when Iwade gained city status which dissolved Naga District.

Municipal history

  • August 1, 1908 - The village of Iwade gained town status: the start of the town of Iwade (1st generation).
  • September 30, 1956 - During the big mergers during Showa era, the town merged with the villages of Kamiiwade, Nera, Yamazaki, and parts of Kokura (Funado and Yamazaki areas). The town of Iwade (new) was formed, with the same areas of the current city. The town had the population of 13,000. The remaining parts of Kokura was merged with the city of Wakayama.
  • April 1, 2006 - Gained city status to become the ninth city in the prefecture. It is the first time since May 1, 1956, when the town of Arida from Arida District gained city status alone.

The road to city status

Points of interest

External links

Search another word or see Iwadeon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature