Itchen Ferrymen were granted permission to ferry passengers and goods across the River Itchen by the Lords of the Manors of Woolston and Southampton. Lords of the Manor of Woolston were paid in cash. Lords of the Manor of Southampton received free passage.
The village lost a large part of its livelihood when the Floating Bridge was introduced in 1836, but continued to operate a night service until the late 19th century. The inhabitants always remained fishermen and seafarers.
A memorial to Richard Parker of Itchen Ferry village can be seen in the graveyard of Jesus Chapel on Peartree Green. The desperate situation that led to his death in 1884 was the subject of a significant murder trial Regina v. Dudley & Stephens that changed English law. Already absorbed into its larger neighbour Woolston and subsequently into the borough of Southampton in 1920, Itchen Ferry village was destroyed beyond repair by the Luftwaffe on 26th September 1940, due to its misfortune of being a stones throw from the Supermarine factory and a short distance up-river from the John I. Thornycroft & Company shipyard. There were over 100 casualties in this one raid. But that was not the only raid. The Luftwaffe had targeted the area on a number of previous occasions. An air raid shelter in the lower region of Sea Road near the railway line is reported as receiving a direct hit on 24th September 1940
The area was subsequently used for training troops that would be fighting in similar ruined villages during the Invasion of Europe in 1944.
Reports of casualties in the direct hit on the air raid shelter (24th September) are contradictory. One report has approx 100 fatalities and approx 50 wounded, coincidentally the total of the two raids as listed above: it may have been politically expedient to combine those figures. Another source simply reports many fatalities. The most reliable report, because it is based on local sources in Southampton rather than RAF sources, is that the shelter was largely unoccupied because the air raid warning was late.
|Current name||Previous name|
|Hazel Road||Elm Road|
|Laurel Road||Ivy Road|
|Sea Road||Hill Street|
|Tankerville Road||Britannia Road|
|Walpole Road||Avenue Road|
|Wharncliffe Road||Cliff Road|