Bulacan (PSGC: 031400000; PH), officially called the Province of Bulacan (or Lalawigan ng Bulacan in Filipino) or simply Bulacan Province, is a province of the Republic of the located in the Central Luzon Region (Region 3) in the island of Luzon, north of Manila (the nation's capital), and part of the Metro Luzon Urban Beltway Super Region. Bulacan was established on the 15th day of August 1578.
It has 569 barangays from twenty-one (21) municipalities and three (3) component cities (Malolos, the capital city; Meycauayan; and San Jose del Monte). Bulacan is located immediately north of Metropolitan Manila. Bordering Bulacan are the provinces of Pampanga to the west, Nueva Ecija to the north, Aurora and Quezon to the east, & Metro Manila and Rizal to the south. Bulacan also lies on the north-eastern shore of Manila Bay.
Bulacan prides itself for its rich historical heritage. The province figures prominently in Philippine History. Many national heroes and political figures were born in Bulacan. The province was also one of the first to revolt against Spain (The province is honored as one of the 8 rays of the sun in the national flag). In 1899, the historic Barasoain Church in Malolos, is the birthplace of the First Constitutional Democracy in Asia. It is also the cradle of the nation's noble heroes, of great men and women; also home to many of the country's greatest artists, with a good number elevated as National Artists.
Today, Bulacan is among the most progressive provinces in the Philippines. Its people—the Bulakeño (or Bulakenyo in Filipino)—are highly educated, enterprising and industrious. It is well-known for the following industries: Marble and Marbleized Limestone, Jewelry, Pyrotechnics, Leather, Aquaculture, Meat and Meat Products, Garments, Furniture, High-Value Crops, and Sweets and Native Delicacies, and a wide variety of high-quality native products.
Dubbed as the "Northern Gateway from Manila," Bulacan is indeed an ideal investment destination owing largely to the following factors: Strategic Location; Highly Productive Human Resources; Abundant Natural Resources; Well-Developed Infrastructure Support; Reasonable Cost for Doing Business; Effective Government and Private Sector Partnership for Investments; Favorable Peace and Order Situation; and Attractive Investments Incentives.
Bulacan has fast become an ideal tourist destination, owing to its vital role in Philippine history, and its rich heritage in culture and the arts. The province is popularly known for its historical sites; nostalgic old houses and churches; idyllic ecological attractions; religious attractions; colorful and enchanting festivals; swimming and various themed attractions; and a wide selection of elegant native crafts and sumptuous delicacies. It is also home to numerous resorts, hotels, restaurants, and other recreational facilities.
Several rivers irrigate the province of Bulacan; the largest one is that of Angat. Angat River passes through the towns of Angat, San Rafael, Baliuag, Plaridel (Quingua), and Calumpit. It flow thence into the Pampanga River, goes out again, washes Hagonoy and loses itself in the mangroves. The banks of these rivers are very fertile and are covered with trees.
|Name||Type||District||No. of Brgy||Zip Code|
Sapang Palay 3024
Converted into a city under Republic Act No. 8754; ratified on October 8, 2002.
Converted into a city under Republic Act No. 9356; ratified on December 10, 2006. .
Converted into a city under Republic Act No. 8797; ratified on September 10, 2000..
Terrain. Bulacan lies in the southern portion of the fertile plains of Central Luzon. The area is drained by the Angat and Pampanga rivers. The Sierra Madre mountain range forms the highlands of Bulacan in the east. Angat Lake, which was formed by the Angat Dam is located in that area. The highest point in the province at 1170 meters is Mount Oriol, part of the Sierra Madre.
On January 19, 2008, an 18-hectare dump site, a new landfill that would also be a tourist attraction opened in Norzagaray, Bulacan province. Ramon Angelo Jr., president Waste Custodian Management Corp. stated: "I want them to see our system in our place which should not be abhorred because we are using the new state-of-the-art technology.
Climate. November to April is generally dry while wet for the rest of the year. The northeast monsoon (amihan) prevails from October to January bringing in moderated and light rains. From February to April, the east trade winds predominate but the Sierra Madre (Philippines) mountain range to the east disrupts the winds resulting to a dry period. From May to September, the southwest monsoon (habagat) prevails and the period is characterized by numerous storms and typhoons.
The hottest month is May having an average temperature of 29.7°C while the coldest is February with an average temperature of 25.1°C.
Population. According to the 2007 census (as of August 1 of the same year), there are a total of 2,826,926 Bulaqueños (or Bulakenyos or Bulaqueños) with annual population growth rate of 3.30 from the year 2000 to 2007, making Bulacan the second most populous province in the country. It is also the 4th most densely populated province at 1,076 people per square kilometer. There are ?? households in the province with an average size of ?? persons, significantly lower than the national average of ??. Bulacan had a median age of 23 years in 2000.
Total Population by Region, Province and Municipality: Based on 1995, 2000 and 2007
|Region, Province, City, Municipality||1-Sep-95||1-May-00||1-Aug-07|
Source: National Statistics Office
Details may not add up to totals due to rounding.
Figures are from NSO census and considered correct and exact.
Industries. The province of Bulacan is steadily becoming industrialized due to its proximity to Metro Manila. Many corporations put up industrial plants and site in Bulacan. Some of the businesses and industries include Agribusiness; Aquaculture; Banking; Cement Bag Making Ceramics; Construction; Courier; Education; Food/Food Processing; Furniture; Garments; Gifts, Houseware & Decors; Hospitals; Hotels, Resorts & Restaurants; Information and Communications Technology; Insurance; Jewelry; leather & leather tanning; Manpower; Manufacturing; Marble; Printing Press; Pyrotechnics & Fireworks Manufacturing; Realty/Real Property Development; Shoe Manufacturing; Textile; Trade; Transport Services; Travel & Tours; Other Services
Agribusiness & Aquaculture. The rural areas still mostly depend on agriculture (in the plains) and fisheries (in the coastal areas) as a source of income. Some of the major crops are rice, corn, vegetables, and fruits such as mangoes; and various kinds of fishes and seafoods.
Banking and Finance. Bulacan ia served by all major banks with more than 200 banks doing business in the province.The entrepreneureal culture is supported by the strong cooperative movement with total assest of over PhP 2 Billion.
Transportation and Road Networks. Bulacan is dubbed as "The Gateway to the Northern Philippines". The province is linked with Metro Manila primarily through the North Luzon Expressway and Manila North Road (well known as the MacArthur Highway) which crosses the province into Pampanga and western part of Northern Luzon (western Central Luzon, Ilocos and Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR)). While taking the Cagayan Valley Road in Guiguinto, it leads you to Nueva Ecija and to the eastern part of Northern Luzon (eastern Central Luzon and Cagayan Valley Region).
The MacArthur Highway traverses the province from north to south. Most major towns can be reached through the North Luzon Expressway. A good number of motor vehicles owned largely by private individuals provide mobility to Bulacan’s populace. Aside from five main highways that traverse the province, all roads are widely dispersed throughout Bulacan.
Bus terminals of Baliuag Transit, California Bus Line, Sampaguita Liner and Royal Eagle are in Baliuag, Balagtas and Hagonoy. The main bus lines of Philippine Rabbit, Victory Liner, Aladdin Transit that originate from their main terminals in Manila, Pasay and Quezon City and travel northward to cities and towns in Pampanga, Tarlac and Zambales, pass through Bulacan via the Tabang exit.
Public transportation within the province, like in most of the urban areas in the Philippines, is facilitated mostly using inexpensive jeepneys and buses. Tricycles are used for short distances.
Industrial Estate and Parks. This is a partial list of Industrial sites in the Province.
The story of Bulacan really begins with cataclysmic changes in the earth’s crust which, started during the late Crustacean age, about 60 million years ago and eventually led to the formation of the Philippine Archipelago and the China Sea out of the vast expanse of the Pacific.
In this group of islands gradually isolated at the end of the last glacial period from the Asian underbelly on the largest island of Luzon, three mountain ranges, the Sierra Madre, the Zambales and the highlands of Laguna and Batangas conspired with the great Central Valley to produce tectonic stages and the patient gathering of effluvia more than one million years ago, the Bulacan River and its delta on which, Bulacan is now built.
The earliest Bulacan men came on the scene towards the end of the Paleolithic age about 250,000 years ago and was preceded by elephants and rhinoceros whose fossils have been found in what are now parts of the Province of Bulacan. He was like the rest of the human family of his time, a caveman, feeding on small animals like bats which he trapped and on the snails, crabs and shellfish which he found in the mud of the deltaic swamp of his still nameless home. In time he developed flake tools, adzes and chisels and drills and small stone knives and suddenly mobile one day he began to move up and down the Bulacan River in crude boats.
And thus he learned to communicate and to trade. After many more years he began to mine metal, to plant, to weave and to make glass and jade ornaments for the women. The large Manila Bay, the Binoangan, the Maycapiz and the Wawang Dapdap Rivers joined with the mighty Pampanga River and the Bulacan River attracted a new population, the slim, brown, lank haired Malays from the Malay Peninsula and Indonesia.
They came in ships called balangay, the name they gave their first social unit, the clan village. During the reign of the Tang emperors in the 10th century, Arab and Chinese traders began to come to Bulacan, with both Indian and Chinese influences intensifying in the 11th and 12th centuries. Bulacan had by this time became an entreport and the Bulakeños expert seafarers.
They built and sailed ships of many kinds, river canoes as well as larger vessels to carry merchandise and as many as a hundred rowers and 30 fighting men. Inevitably they came to be called Taga-ilog, Tagalog or Riverman. They lived in comfortable houses made of wood, bamboo and palm leaf thatch, had a syllabary written on bark and bamboo, played music, wore silk doublets and loin clothes or flowing skirts and flimsy blouses and a great deal of jewelry.
They had devised a complicated social scheme of nobles, freemen and serfs and buried their dead in formal graveyard (with grave furniture consisting of imported Chinese pottery) at least one example of which can still be seen in Bulacan today.
The history began when a small settlement of fishermen lived along the coast of Manila Bay before the coming of the Spaniards. Later on, these settlers became farmers after moving inwards as they discovered that the land in the interior part was fertile and very much drained by the network of rivers and streams. These settlers grew and flourished into large and prosperous settlement now known as the province of Bulacan.
Quite interesting more on the country's prehispanic highlights was the discovery of the Laguna Copperplate Inscription or the LCI at the Lumbang River in Laguna in 1991 (and deciphered by Antoon Postma of Mangyan Heritage Center in Mindoro). Historians such as Zeus Salazar of the University of the Philippines considered the date of the LCI AD 900 as the start of the recorded Philippine history, not of 1521. This copperplate was written in Kavi, an ancient script related to baybayin, and contains the placename Binoangan (now a barangay of Obando), Pailah (now Sitio Paila, San Lorenzo, Norzagaray), and Puliran (first to be said somewhere in Laguna, but Postma announced that it was much near to be Pulilan of Bulacan), and a native chieftain named Bukah in to which Gatbuka in Calumpit probably derived. All of these were now part of Bulacan.
But many historians disagree on where the name Bulacan came from: some say from the Kapampangan word burak, because the place was swampy and muddy, while others say from the word bulak, since the road to the capital town was once upon a time lined with rows of cotton trees. According to Bahay-saliksikan ng Bulacan (Center for Bulacan Studies), this assumption was derived on the controversial Will Of Pansonum (Christened as Fernando Malang Balagtas, descendant of the Kapampangans who came from Kingdom of Achem in Sumatra, somewhere in 1380's - 1400's, and born at Tambugao [a topoplace between Calumpit and Apalit] in Calumpit).
Another point of disagreement is the year it became a province: one document says 1578, but most other documents say Pampanga covered practically everything between Manila and Ilocos; even Tondo inhabitants spoke Kapampangan.. With the research conducted by the Bahay-saliksikan ng Bulacan in 2005, then its director Prof. Reynaldo S. Naguit agreed that it was founded in August 15, 1578. But if you will reviewed his references, more particularly the report of the encomiendas of the Governor-general Gomez Perez Dasmariñas to King Philip II and found something interesting: According to the Relación de encomiendas en las Islas Filipinas, which may be considered as the first census report of the Philippines prepared by Governor Gómez Pérez de Dasmariñas in 1591, there were 75,000 "souls"in "Pampanga, which included Bataán and Bulacán.
Under the Provincia de Pampanga, its encomiendas was divided into 4 alcaldias,
All of these alcaldias under Provincia de Pampanga, with one corrigmiento, and that was the Corigimiento de Batan (the today's Province of Bataan) were all became alcaldias during the time of Governor-General Gonzalo Ronquillo de Peñalosa somewhere in 1580 according to Gov. Gen. Dasmariñas' report. Even though there were created as alcaldias, still there were part of Provincia de Pampanga, and the more exciting fact here was that Dasmariñas' report tells us that the town of Bulakan was recognized as "the capital-town and encomienda of Provincia de Pampanga" and it only means that the seat of Pampanga's capital was then at Bulakan, Bulacan before it became a separate province in Pampanga somewhere in 1680 (according to Dr. Jaime B. Veneracion's book 'Kasaysayan ng Bulakan') or in 1755 (according to the Erreciones that can be found at the Pampanga documents in the National Archives and also appeared at Fr. Pedro A. Gallende's Angles in Stone: Augustinian Churches in the Philippines).
In fact, many places in Bulacan bear Kapampangan names: Barangay King Kabayo in San Miguel (king is a preposition that means "in" or "at"); Quingua (now Plaridel) (quingua or kingwa is a verb that means acquired); Similarly, some folks believe that barrio Batasan (also in San Miguel) on the border with Candaba came from Batasan Pambansa, but it's actually the Kapampangan word for "shortcut"; Other places in Bulacan with Kapampangan names include barrios Kapitangan, Longos, Calumpang and Iba in Hagonoy; Pinaod and Makapilapil in San Ildefonso; Mayumu,Ilug Bulo,Biclat and Cabio in San Miguel; Masukol and Binakod in Paombong; Dalig, Batin and Balagtas in Balagtas town; Penabatan and Inaon in Pulilan; Taliptip and Bambang in Bulacan town; and Talaksan in San Rafael.
Jean Baptiste Mallat described Bulacan in his accounts, "The Philippines"(published in 1846), as "one of the richest, best cultivated , happiest and cleanest [province] in the whole archipelago." According to him, Bulacan's major products were as follows: rice; corn; coconut, the oil of which is used for lighting and fuel; nipa; sugarcane; indigo which is made into liquid paste; a little cacao; coffee which is as good as that from Moka and of the same quality as that from Indan and Silang in the province of Cavite.
Mallat further described Bulacan's economic life during the 1840s:
Trade is very abundant in this province: its connections with Manila, by sea as well as by land, facilitate development of trade. Inhabitants of the coasts engage in fishing; in the province are counted about 15 hundred looms of which are manufactured stripped cloths of silk and cotton, tapis, cambayas, sinamay. Shops are primarily kept by women. Moreover, Bulacan has a great number of beggars; it is not that they would lack work if they looked for it, but it seems that in the lower class, there are many lazy and indolent people.
The history of the province from the Spanish occupation has been replete with events worthy of recollection. As early as the time of the coming of Legaspi to conquer Manila with two of his subordinate officers, Martin de Goiti and Juan Salcedo, the 1000 Moro Bulakenyos thru their seafaring brothers from Hagonoy showed their instinctive love of country by helping Bambalito, a brave datu of Macabebe, a quite near town to Bulacan in Pampanga (which according to Conquistas de las Islas Filipinas of Fray Gaspar de San Agustin in 1590's he was a brave youth from Macabebe), and another 1000 Kapampangan Moros of Macabebe, Lubao, Betis, and some records tells also Calumpit fought at the naval Battle of the Bangkusay Channel on June 3, 1571. For Bahay-saliksikan ng Bulacan, as Bokal Ernesto Sulit of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan ng Bulacan on May 2008 recognized it as part of Bulacan's celebration to the month-long National Flag and Anthem Month (May 15-June 30, 2008), as the first recorded heroic deed of the Bulakenyos in history. Here also in this battle, Spanish friars and chroniclers recorded that Bulakenyos and Kapampangan Moro warlords sent 40 caracoas (an ancient warboat and trading boat of the Austrsnesians)to Tondo with lantakas (a native cañon believed to be made in Capalangan, Apalit, Pampangan by Panday Pira) and during that time a barangay having this caracoa means royalty, prosperity, and power in the seas and rivers. This is also recognized by Dr. Sonia M. Zaide as the first ever naval battle in the country.
By the time of Governor-General and adelantado Miguel Legazpi in 1571, Bulacan was reported to be well populated. The Spaniards organized the then existing barangays in Bulacan into pueblos (towns). The first pueblo established in Bulacan is the town of Calumpit. Calumpit was also the birthplace of Christianity in the province.
”The recorded history of Bulakan might as well start in 1572, when Fray Francisco Vivar of Guadalajara, an Augustinian, opened missions in Bulakan, Malolos and Hagonoy. He was the first to plant the Cross on Bulakan soil with the help of the Sword. He arrived in the Philippines from Mexico in 1570 and died in Pampanga in 1603. Three years later, in 1575, Calumpit was founded as a town. In 1578, Bulakan, Bulakan was established as the capital town of the province. With Bulakan as the center, the missionaries and the military might of Spain worked hand in hand to subjugate the pagan population to accepth the Christian faith. Fray Agustin Albuquerque established a mission in this town, then with 4,000 inhabitants. According to Fray Juan de Medina, O.S.A. “All the Manila religious extol the “Indians” of this town as the most tractable and most attached to the church.”
It was in 1580 that the town of Malolos founded. According to Blair and Robertson, the name “Li-han” was the ancient Chinese name for Malolos, whose princess bore the title of “Gat-Salihan” or Gatchalian. The western town of Hagonoy became an independent town from Calumpit in 1581. The first Bulakeño uprising against Spanish rule occurred in 1587. The Chief of Bulakan, Esteban Tasi was executed with other Bulakeño chieftains in the same year. Felipe Salonga who started the revolt was exiled from Polo, Bulakan to New Spain, Mexico.
A Royal Decree in 1595 created the Archbishop of Manila, which has jurisdiction of all the parishes in the province of Bulakan. The power of the church bells was now encompassing more and more pueblos under its sway. The Cross and Sword worked marvels in the organization of the pueblos during the 17th century: the town of Bocaue was founded by the Franciscans in 1606, followed by the town of Polo in 1623 by the Franciscans and in 1628 Captain Fernando de Perona was appointed Alcalde Mayor of the Province of Bulakan and also as military commander.
A three-year war occurred in Bulakan province (1638-1640) where Chinese in many parts of Luzon revolted against Spain. There were more than 300 Chinese rebels killed in Bulakan by the Spaniards and the Bulakeños. Three years later (1643) another revolt took place led by Don Pedro Ladia, a native of Borneo. Ladia claimed that he was a descendant of Rajah Matanda, the petty King of Maynila in 1571. Ladia styled himself King of the Tagalog. This rebellion was checked by Fray Cristobal Enriquez. Ladia was arrested and sent to Manila where he was executed.
The last town in the 17th century succumb to the power of the bells was Paombong which became a town in 1650. The 18th century found Baliuag a separate pueblo from Quingua in the year 1733. In 1750 the Augustinians had 12 parishes in Bulakan, namely; Angat, Baliuag, Bigaa, Bulakan, Dapdap (now the barrio of Sta. Ana), San Miguel de Mayumo, Guiguinto, Malolos, Quingua, Hagonoy, Paombong and Calumpit while the Franciscans had three parishes: Polo, Bocaue and Meycauayan. October 4, 1762 marked the Fall of Manila from the British invaders.
That same night Simon de Anda y Salazar left Manila aboard a small banca for Bulakan, Bulakan. Early in the morning of October 5, 1762 Simon de Anda landed on the Bulakan, Bulakan pier. Incidentally, the exact location of this wharf is the site of this writer’s residence. On the same day Anda issued his first proclamation naming himself Captain General and the Supreme Governor of the Philippines and President of the Real Audiencia on account of the Fall of Manila to the British.
During the years 1745 and 1746 there were agrarian revolts in several provinces near Manila, which included Bulacan, on account of occupations of Filipino lands by religious orders. In a royal decree of November 7, 1751, it noted that in the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna and Morong (Rizal) (especially in the towns of Hagonoy, Taguig, Parañaque, San Mateo, Bacoor, Cavite Viejo (Kawit), Silang, Imus, and Biñan the people revolted because the religious orders had usurped "the lands of the Indians, without leaving them the freedom of the rivers for their fishing, or allowing them to cut wood for their necessary use, or even to collect the wild fruits; nor did they allow the natives to pasture on the hills near their villages the carabaos which they used for agriculture."
On January 18, 1763, Capt. Slay left Manila for Bulakan with a force of 400 British soldiers, 300 Malabar Negroes and 2,000 Chinese allies. The Alcalde Mayor and Fr. Agustin de San Antonio, the Recollect Curate of Bulakan, fought them courageously but in vain. Fr. San Antonio died heroically in defending this town against the British invaders. But his death paved the way for unifying force among the Spaniards and Bulakeños.
It was in this first battle of Bulakan that the Catholic Church was burned. The British did not stay long in Bulakan, Bulakan. By June 1763, a strong force of Filipinos and Spaniards estimated at around 8,000 stormed the town under the command of Jose Pedro Busto. With heavy casualties the British were forced to retreat to Manila. For the first time the valor of the Bulakeño soldier was recorded in our history.
In an article by Isidro C. Gregorio of Aliaga, Nueva Ecija published in The Philippines Free Press on September 29, 1962, the following portion appears: “The British issued a proclamation declaring Anda a bandit and promising a reward of P5,000 for his capture, dead or alive. Anda countered with an edict awarding 10 million pesos to anyone who could kill or capture a British officer. While the fighting raged in the Philippines, the Seven Years War came to an end, resulting in the signing of a peace treaty on February 10, 1763. Called the Treaty of Paris, it gave the Philippines back to Spain.
Accordingly, on May 31, 1764, Anda and his men entered Manila to receive the city form the enemy. The turnover rites took place on that same day in the patio of the Sta. Cruz Church. The British sailed away after having occupied Manila for a year and a half.” The story of the British occupation cannot be told without mention of the courage and fighting spirit displayed by the Filipino warriors. In this connection, General Draper wrote in his journal: “Had their skill or weapons been equal to their strength and ferocity, it might have cost us dear.
Although armed chiefly bows, arrows and lances, they advanced up to the very muzzles of our guns, and kept repeating their assaults…” The Fall of British in Bulakan marked a new epoch. It was a period of reconstruction: the government buildings were reconstructed but the church had to wait for another 50 years before it could be reconstructed from the ruins of war.
The Fall ushered in an era of peace that would last for more than a century. The Spanish colonizers also envisioned the use of the Cross and the Plow in giving the people of the pueblos under the bells an era of peace, progress and prosperity. In 1763 San Miguel was founded as a town by Miguel Pineda who became the first capitan municipal of the town. Vast tracts of land were cultivated and planted to the golden grain which brought bountiful harvest of the basic food. In 1782 Angat became a separate town from Bocaue.
The missionaries encourage the people of Angat to develop the iron mines for the production of harrows and plows for the peasants. The plows and harrows and other agricultural implements helped accelerate the agricultural development of the province. In 1792 the town of Sta. Maria was founded followed by Marilao in 1796. In that same year Pulilan was founded by Augustinian friars. The symbol of this town up to the present is the carabao, the peasants’ beast of burden.
At the height of the Filipino-Spanish conflict in 1890s, Bulacan was one of the first eight provinces to take up arms against the Spaniards in 1896. However the first phase of the revolution ceased in 1897 with the signing of the Pact of Biak-na-Bato in San Miguel. Under it terms the leaders were to go to Hong Kong and reside there. Under the illusory peace created by the Pact, the end of 1897 saw greater determination pm the part of the Filipinos to carry on the revolution. In early 1898, the provinces of Zambales, Ilocos, Pampanga, Bulacan, Laguna, Pangasinan, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac. and Camarines rose again. In Central Luzon, a revolutionary government was organized under General Francisco Makabulos, a Kapampangan revolutionary leader of La Paz, Tarlac.
By the middle of 1898, the second phase of the revolution broke out and culminated with the establishment of the First Philippine Republic. Reynaldo Naguit's Hinubog sa Batong Buhay: Mga Dakilang Bulakenyo sa Kasaysayan (published by the Bahay-saliksikan ng Bulacan in 2004) noted that on June 1, 1898, Gregorio del Pilar attacked at the midnight the cazadores of the Spaniards in Bulakan, Bulacan. After the ranging smokes of the revolutionaries of del Pilar, at the break of the morning, Spaniards hided inside the Paroquia of the Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion and later surrendered with them. Also on this day, San Miguel de Mayumo was also liberated. June 10, 1898 San Ildefonso was next to be liberated. Following Biak-na-Bato on June 21, 1898, and finally on June 24, 1898 in Bulakan, Bulacan, the Spaniards finally liberated the Province and a treaty of surrendering was signed between the Spanish governor of the Province and del Pilar, the first Filipino governor of Bulacan appointed by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo on June 19, 1898 to be the military dictator of Bulacan and Nueva Ecija. For the first time, the Philippine flag was hoisted and the national anthem was played by a band for the first time while the Spanish flag was strikes down on the pole, with a feast celebrated for the whole day.
August 22, 1898 Gen. Aguinaldo announced that Malolos will be the next capital of the Philippines, as it was formally became the seat on September 9, 1898 upon the revolutionary government arrival at Malolos. The Malolos Cathedral and the Barasoain Church became the executive headquarter of President Aguinaldo and the legislative headquarter of the Malolos Congress, respectively.
In book, The Philippines and Round About (published in 1899), George John Younghusband described the town of Malolos during the height of the Philippine-American War:
In Malolos, we saw considerable numbers of Spanish prisoners, bare-headed, bare-footed, and in rags, performing all the most menial offices as domestic servants to individual natives or as public scavengers. Every railway station was guarded by insurgent troops, and every train at each station was carefully examined by them. Not even an American can travel without a passport, and the only safe and convenient nationality to assume is that of a British subject.
in 1942, entering the Japanese forces in Bulacan.
in 1945, Filipino and American forces and local guerrillas attack from the Japanese Imperial forces liberated in Bulacan.
Primary and Intermediate Education Bulacan has a total of 473 public Elementary schools, 435 public schools under the Department of Education (DEPED) Division of Bulacan and 38 public schools under the Division of City Schools of Malolos.
Private Schools There are many privately-owned (by individual or group) and church-operated schools established in the city. Private Schools in the province are member of Bulacan Private Schools Association (BULPRISA) While in Malolos, private schools are organized as Malolos City Private Schools Association (MACIPRISA)
The following are the top public secondary schools in Bulacan based on students' performance and teaching effectiveness.
Provincial Board Members:
The following artists were named as National Artists of the Philippines (listed in chronological order of membership):
Bahay-saliksikan ng Bulacan (Center for Bulacan Studies) of the Bulacan State University will soon to publish (probably on the year 2009) a special publication about the Bulacan celebrations and festivities entitled Makulay na Bulacan: Mga Makukulay na Pagdiriwang sa Bulacan.
For a meanwhile, this are the lists of Bulacan noted festivities and there are other local festivals to be recorded and documented.
Singkaban Fiesta (Sining at Kalinangan ng Bulacan), a festival of arts and culture in honor of Capitol's patron saint, "Our Lady of Victory", showcasing the traditional arts of "Balagtasan", "Kundiman" and folk dances amidst of the "Singkaban" arches. The festival is celebrated in every second week of September which is in conjunction with the "Linggo ng Bulakan". Linggo ng Bulacan (Held during September 8-15), A province-wide, week-long celebration consisting of various colourful cultural presentations, art and culinary exhibits, arts and skills contests, and the prestigious annual Dangal nF Lipi Awards Night. Yearly, its activities vary depending upon the chosen theme for the year.
On December 12, 2007, Bulacan and the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) signed an agreement for the development of an P11-billion bulk water supply project. Ayala-owned Manila Water Co. Inc. will implement the project. MWSS and Manila Water will provide a financial package of an infrastructure grant, a P10-million development assistance and a P10-million royalty fee to the towns of Norzagaray and Doña Remedios Trinidad, which will host the water supply project.
|City||Distance from Manila in km||Important Road Networks||Points of Interest|
|Meycauayan City||North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) thru Meycauayan Exit;|
Manila North Road (MacArthur Highway) thru Valenzuela City.
|Old Malhacan Church, a 400 year old edifice serving as a mute witness to history of the town; |
Gat Ciriaco Contreras Marker, a monument in memory of the commander who fought a fierce battle against the Spanish forces in Bancal;
Acacia Tree – The late Pres. Manuel L. Quezon played under this tree in his childhood days;
Liputan Islands – Surrounded by fishponds and accessible only through water transportation;
De Larisse Resorts & Pavilion, Meycauayan Golf Driving Range, and Emco Pavilion in Pandayan;
Golden Cocoon Resort & Ancon Resort in Malhacan;
Joeri’s Resort & Pavilion in Lawa;
Jerime Irish Pavilion & Villa Maria Ester Pavilion in Libtong;
|San Jose del Monte City||Quirino Highway thru Caloocan City, North; NLEX thru Bocaue Exit via Bocaue and Sta.Maria; Bulacan-Rizal-Manila-Cavite Regional Expressway (under planning)||Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, a replica of the Lourdes Grotto in France. it features a mock hill calvary where life-size statues depicting the passion and death of Jesus Christ; |
Grotto Mineral Spring – Located on a rolling hill, the natural spring is believed to be miraculous;
Grotto Vista Resort in Gaya-Gaya;
Cresta del Monte Resort and Palmera North Winds Resort in Sto. Cristo;
natural falls in San Isidro;
Dalisay Farm in Tungkong Mangga;
|Malolos City||NLEX via Tabang Exit;|
|Municipality||Distance from Manila in km||Important Road Networks||Points of Interest|
|Obando||Bulacan-Obando road via Bulacan, Bulacan; Polo Road via Valanzuela City||Obando Church, venue of the famous "Fertility Dance" in honor of San Pascual Baylon, Sta. Clara de Asis and Virgen de Salambao (May 17-19); |
Obando Town Fiesta – celebrated from May 17-19. Childless couples can take this occasion to appeal for heavenly intercession and dance to please the Virgin of Salambao, San Pascual de Bailon and Sta. Clara. Maidens and bachelors who want husbands and wives can dance for their mates. Farmers also thank the Virgin for bountiful harvests.
|Marilao||NLEX via Marilao Exit; |
|National Shrine of the Divine Mercy; |
Marilao Catholic Church, a 17th century church;
La Prenza Dam – 1989 communal irrigation system; serves as a checkgate to prevent water overflow from destroying rice crops in the area;
Hanging Bridge – A 60-m long cable bridge linking barangays Lambakin and Sta. Rosa;
Lustre Pavilion & Swimming Pool in Sarmiento Homes;
Dad’s Vineyard and Medina’s Farm in Sta. Rosa;
Villa Felomina Resort in Lias;
Four Kings Resort in Abangan Sur
SM City Marilao
Bulacan ICT Park, a special economic zone.
|Bocaue||NLEX via Bocaue Exit, |
San Jose-Bocaue Road
|Pagoda sa Wawa also known as the Pagoda Festival, a fluvial parade in honor of the miraculous "Krus sa Wawa", done every 1st Sunday of July, which is believed to have saved the life of a drowning old woman. The main feature of this fiesta is the Pagoda, which glides along the Bocaue River. The Pagoda is a guilty-decorated structure riding on a huge banca. People from all walks of life enjoy the ride on the Pagoda feasting on sumptuous food while the music plays. |
Bocaue Museum, houses a collection of municipal antiques and priceless array of artifacts;
D. Lour Pavilion in Igulot
|Balagtas||NLEX via Bocaue Exit; |
|Balagtas Monument and Museum – The monument was built in honor of Francisco “Balagtas” Baltazar, hailed as the Father of Tagalog Poetry, whose masterpiece, Florante at Laura, is very popular; |
Bahay na Tisa (Constantine House) – One of the oldest known tile-roofed houses in the province, it was constructed in 1840 and exhibits a mixture of mestizo, Spanish and native Tagalog designs.
|Santa Maria||NLEX via Bocaue Exit; |
MacArthur Highway via Bocaue Intersection;
Quirino Highway via Sapang Palay
|Santa Maria Church, an 18th-century church, , which is part and parcel of Bulacan’s era that resisted the American regime; |
Huseng Batute Marker – A simple marker in honor of the country’s “King of Balagtasan”;
Long Meadows Resort, Dad's Vineyard Resort, Aqua Matina, and Pamar Wonderpool Resort in Mahabang Parang;
Villa Natalia, Villa Carmen, Villa Antonia and Sitio Lucia Resorts in Pulong Buhangin;
Lanesca Resort & 4-K Garden Resort in Catmon;
Lanesca in Bulac;
Cool Water Resort in Lalakhan;
Vig Jam Resort in Balasing;
Stone Bridge Resort in Tumana;
Denverland in San Gabriel.
|Guiguinto||NLEX via Tabang Exit|| Guiguinto Gardens; |
C.M. Farm in Cut-cut;
Golden Shower in Tabe;
Hidden Mountain Rocks and Alcor Center in Tiaong;
Luntiang Paraiso in Tabang;
|Bulacan||Mac Arthur Highway through Guiguinto or Balagtas||Sta. Maria Assumpta Parish, the "oldest Roman Catholic church in the province." |
Shrine of Marcelo H. del Pilar – Erected in honor of the patriot, writer and editor of the revolutionary newspaper La Solidaridad;
Evangelista Resort in San Jose;
Bon Bon Resort, Maglalang Resort, Jojima Resort, and Ulit Resort in Pitpitan;
Villa Elena Resort in Taliptip
|Pandi||NLEX via Bocaue Exit- Sta. Maria||Site of Kakarong Battle, site of the Republic of Real of Kakarong de Sili of 1896; |
Inang Filipina Shrine;
Pandi Catholic Church
Pandi Mineral and Batch Spring Resort – Famous for its mineral water which is found to have medicinal and curative effects;
Villa Concepcion in Barangay Masuso;
Pandi Mineral Spring Resort in Poblacion;
Fortune Ville Pool and Cabuhat Resort in Manatal Fresh Water Resort in Siling Bata;
Licom Resort in Bagbaguin;
Countryside Resort in Bunsuran II;
Villa Aurora Resort in Mapulang Lupa
|Plaridel||NLEX via Sta. Rita Exit||Battle of Quinwa Marker – Death marker of Col. John Strotsenberg of the Nebraska Volunteer Infantry|
|Pulilan||NLEX via Sta. Rita Exit or Pulilan Exit;|
|Pulilan Carabao Festival – Hundreds of work animals, mostly carabaos, are led on a parade in streets of the town every 14th and 15th of May, to honor San Isidro Labrador, the town’s patron saint. The carabaos, decorated with garlands and shaved for the occasion, genuflect and kneel in front of the church; |
Pulilan Butterfly Haven;
Pugpog River in Balatong B;
Pulilan Resort in Dampol 2A;
Taps Swimming Pool & Playgroung, Villa Lorenzo Resort, and Villa Cristia in Poblacion;
MRC Resort in Tabon;
Merryland Resort in Taal
| ||Norzagaray||NLEX via Bocaue Exit - Sta. Maria By-Pass Road - Sta. Maria-Norzagaray Road||Hilltop, the "Baguio" of Bulacan, located atop the Sierra Madre range; |
Pinagcalan Cave – Served as the headquarters of the Katipuneros;
Ipo Dam – Used as a reservoir for the La Mesa Dam which distributes water to Metro Manila residents;
Angat Water Reservoir;
Pugpog River – A natural attraction in Bulacan which clear water originating from the Sierra Madre mountains;
Pugpog River and Prince Resort in Poblacion;
Bakas Resort in Matictic;
Adventure Resort in Bigte;
Falcon Crest Resort in Bitungcol
| ||Paombong||NLEX via Tabang Exit, Mac Arthur Highway through Malolos City||Kapitangan Chapel – known as a pilgrimage area during Holy Week. As a way of repenting and sharing in the sufferings of Christ, worshippers whip themselves during the Holy Week. Also, religious rituals are celebrated in all the towns especially in Malolos, Plaridel and Pulilan. Famous for families owning old, life-sized “santos”; |
Ciudad Clementino Resort and Museum in San Isidro
|Baliuag||NLEX via Sta. Rita Exit- Daang Maharlika- Cagayan Valley Road|| San Agustin Church; |
Lenten Processions – Unique processions featuring life-sized images depicting the life and death of Christ;
Baliuag Clock Tower;
El Niño Resort in Calantipay;
J.E. Garden Resort in Sabang
|Bustos||Cagayan Valley Road (from Baliuag)|
|Mercado House, one of the several houses used as a fort by the Kapituneros. It boasts a unique architectural design of stone carvings on façade and walls.|
Bustos Dam – The longest “sector gate” in the world. This is the huge reservoir of the Angat Hydroelectric plant at Barrio Hilltop, which serves as the source of electric power in the province and Metro Manila;
Sto Niño Church;
Antique Adobe Stone House – Built during the Spanish era.
|Angat||NLEX via Bocaue Exit- Sta. Maria By-Pass Road-Sta. Maria-Norzagaray Road- Angat-Norzagaray Road||Sta. Monica de Angat Church, displays a marvelous Baroque architecture. Its interior replicates the famous Sistine Chapel.|
Baras Bakal, a stone cave; the first choice of the Katipuneros before they finally selected Biak-na-Bato.
Angat Hydroelectric Dam – One of the largest dams in the country which supplies water to the Greater Manila area. It facilitates fishing and boating in a man-made lagoon and hunting in the nearby area.
|Hagonoy||National Shrine of St. Anne, the only church in the Philippines where the relics of Saints Anne and Joaquim, parents of the Blessed Virgin, are venerated; |
Princess Caroline Resort in San Miguel.
|Calumpit||NLEX via Pulilan Exit |
| St. John the Baptist Church(Built in 1572),is the oldest church in Bulacan. Constructed under the supervision of Augustinian priest Diego Vivar Ordoñez, the church has been a mute witness to the Filipinos' struggle against Spanish, American and Japanese rule. Inside the church is a tunnel that, as legend would have it, was used by priests during the Spanish regime to keep gold, religious statues and ornate jewelry hidden from the sight of treasure hunters; |
Calumpit Church – Built in 1575, it has a built-in tunnel where revolutionaries and Spaniards were buried during the war. Also, the last battlefield of Gen. Tanaka of the Japanese Imperial Army. It is the birthplace of Christianity in the province;
Meyto Shrine – A marker of Christianization;
Bagbag Bridge, site of the first battle between Filipinos and American forces during the retreat of President Aguinaldo to the Ilocos Region;
Libad Festival – The town’s patron saint, San Juan, is honored with gay fluvial parade as the main attraction for the celebration;
Jed’s Island Resort in Gatbuca and El Bueno Resort in Longos
| ||San Rafael||San Rafael Catholic Church – site of the bloody battle between the Filipinos and the Spanish forces wherein the blood that drenched the church was ankle-deep;|
Royal Northwoods Golf and Country Club
San Rafael Dam and After Bay Resort in San Rafael;
Malangaan Resort in Tukod;
Villaflor Resort in Capihan;
Villa del Carmen Resort in Capihan;
Violago Resort in Maasim;
San Rafael Christian Ret. Farm Resort in Pasong Callos;
8 Waves Waterpark in Ulingao;
CnB Craft Private Resort in Maguinao.
|Doña Remedios Trinidad||DRT Highway; |
Cagayan Valley Road (from Baliuag)
|Torch of Freedom Marker – Erected for one of the guerilla base camps during World War II; |
Baras Bakal Spring Cave;
Mt. Bato Falls;
|San Ildefonso||Grotto Central Cement – A memorable place because of the grotto and the statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, as well as the beautiful landscape and natural scenery; |
Bulusukan, a garrison of the "insurrectos" during the Spanish Regime;
Sand Spring – Believed to have some medicinal values;
Bahay na Pula
Filipinas Resort, Paul Cruz Resort, and Vanguardia Resort in Sapang Putol;
Jenerosas Resort and Carmi’s Resort in San Juan;
Villa Cecilia Resort in Gabihan
|San Miguel||Cagayan Valley Road (from Baliuag)||Biak-na-Bato National Park, Biak-na-Bato – A huge split boulder which is a mountain hideout of the revolutionary forces during the Spanish regime and the place where the Malolos Constitution was signed by Gen. Aguinaldo and Pedro Paterno of the Biak-na-Bato Republic; |
Buencamino House – A marker honoring the leading cabinet member of the revolutionary government of Aguinaldo. As a student of UST, he led the first student activist demonstration in 1869 and put up wall posters along the Puente de España;
Ancestral Home of Former Cong. Jose “Boji” Cabochan – The grandfather of the former Congressman Don Felix de Leon was a close friend of Dr. Jose Rizal;
Viola House – The original owner id Dr. Maximo Viola, companion of Dr. Jose Rizal in Europe during the time the latter was writing his two famous novels;
San Miguel Catholic Church – Centuries-old (more than 200 years old) edifice built by Augustinian friars;
Siojo House – Owned by the Siojo Family of which former NBI Dir. Alfredo Siojo Lim is a member;
Doña Narcisa B. de Leon House – Owned by Doña Sisang of LVN Pictures, two of whose grandchildren are film director Mike de Leon and Ambassador Narcisa “Ching” de Leon-Escaler;
Sibul Spring – Famous for its medicinal effects. The crystal spring water comes from the Sierra Madre Mountains;
Madlum Cave – Another scenic spot where stalagmites and stalactites delights excursionist and nature lovers;
Tilandong Cave – A natural fall which is now tapped as a source of electric power as well as irrigation;