The domain occupied about 1175 acres (476 hectares), of which 120 acres (49 hectares) formed the campus. In 1914, tuition was free to residents of Iowa. Students from other States paid an annual fee of $50. There were 217 members on the faculty in 1914 when 3,458 students attended the school. In 1923, 7,766 students were taught by a faculty which numbered 567 members. In the period from 1914 to 1923, the following buildings were erected: four women's dormitories, plant propagation building and greenhouse, science building, hospital, armory, animal husbandry laboratory, agricultural engineering building, poultry laboratory, dairy judging pavilion, and sheep, horse, hog, and dairy barns. A library of 250,000 volumes' capacity, a home economics building, and a dormitory for women were under construction in 1924. The president was Raymond Allen Pearson.
The library contains nearly 2.5 million books and subscribes to more than 32,000 journals, making ISU's library one of the 100 largest university libraries in the country.
ISU is organized into 8 colleges that offer 96 Bachelors degree programs, 115 Masters programs, 83 PhD programs, and one professional degree program in Veterinary Medicine.
ISU consists of the following colleges:
In addition to these seven colleges, the Graduate College oversees graduate study in all fields.
The "Cyclones" name dates back to 1895. That year, Iowa suffered an unusually high number of devastating cyclones (as tornadoes were called at the time). In September, the Iowa State football team traveled to Northwestern University and defeated its highly-regarded team by a score of 36-0. The next day, the Chicago Tribune's headline read "Struck by a Cyclone: It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town." The article reported that "Northwestern might as well have tried to play football with an Iowa cyclone as with the Iowa team it met yesterday." The nickname stuck and the Iowa State team had made a name for itself.
The school colors are cardinal red and gold. The mascot is Cy, a cardinal, introduced in 1954. Since a cyclone was determined to be difficult to depict in costume, the cardinal was chosen in reference to the school colors. A contest was held to select a name for the mascot, with the name Cy being chosen as the winner. In early Summer 2007, Cy was voted by fans on the CBS Sports website as the "Most Dominant College Mascot on Earth".
The wrestling squad has captured the NCAA tournament title eight times between 1928 and 1987
|Union Drive||Richardson Court||Towers||Apartments||Other|
|CPC Sororities||IFC Fraternities||National Pan-Hellenic||Multicultural|
The first fraternity, Delta Tau Delta, was established at Iowa State in 1875, six years after the first graduating class entered Iowa State. The first sorority, I.C. Sorocis, was established only 2 years later, in 1877. I.C. Sorocis later became a chapter of the first national sorority at Iowa State, Pi Beta Phi. Anti-Greek rioting occurred in 1888. As reported in the Des Moines Register, "The anti-secret society men of the college met in a mob last night about 11 o'clock in front of the society rooms in chemical and physical hall, determined to break up a joint meeting of three secret societies." In 1891, President William Beardshear banned students from joining secret college fraternities, resulting in the eventually closing of all formerly established fraternities. President Storms lifted the ban in 1904.
Following the lifting of the fraternity ban, the first twelve national fraternities (IFC) installed on the Iowa State campus between 1904 and 1913 were, in order, Sigma Nu, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Beta Theta Pi, Phi Gamma Delta, Alpha Tau Omega, Kappa Sigma, Theta Xi, Acacia, Phi Sigma Kappa, Delta Tau Delta, Pi Kappa Alpha, and Phi Delta Theta. Though some have suspended their chapters at various times, ten of the original twelve fraternities are active in 2008. Many of these chapters existed on campus as local fraternities before being reorganized as national fraternities, prior to 1904.
Iowa State's campus contains over 160 buildings. Several buildings, as well as the Marston Water Tower, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Central campus is a 20-acre lawn and was listed as a "medallion site" by the American Society of Landscape Architects in 1999, one of only three college campuses designated as such. The other two are Yale and the University of Virginia. Thomas Gaines, in The Campus As a Work of Art, proclaimed the Iowa State campus to be one of the twenty-five most beautiful campuses in the country.
As with any major public university, many Iowa State University alumni have achieved fame or notoriety after graduating. These people include athletes, film and television actors.
|1856||Iowa General Assembly enacted legislation for creation of the State Agricultural College and Model Farm|
|1859||Story County was the chosen county for the State Agricultural College and Model Farm|
|1860||Construction starts on the first building on campus, Farm House|
|1862||Morrill Act of 1862 was passed; college to be named Iowa State Agricultural College|
|1869||First graduating class enters Iowa State|
|1875||The first national fraternity, Delta Tau Delta, opens at Iowa State|
|1877||The first national sorority, Pi Beta Phi, opens at Iowa State|
|1879||The School of Veterinary Science is formally organized. It's the first of its kind in the United States.|
|1890||Student newspaper Iowa Agricultural College Student is founded. Later to be named the Iowa State Daily|
|1895||Football team nicknamed Cyclones for their performance against Northwestern University|
|1898||The college is divided into "divisions": Agriculture, Engineering, Science and Philosophy, and Veterinary Medicine|
|1898||Renamed the Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts|
|1905||First Agricultural Engineering program in the world established|
|1913||The college roads are paved|
|1922||VEISHEA was established|
|1922||Jack Trice is mortally injured during a football game against Minnesota|
|1939||The Atanasoff–Berry Computer is first demonstrated|
|1954||Cy becomes the Iowa State mascot|
|1959||Renamed the Iowa State University of Science and Technology|
|1959||Iowa State's divisions become colleges: the College of Agriculture, College of Engineering, College of Home Economics, College of Sciences and Humanities, and College of Veterinary Medicine|
|1962||Enrollment reaches 10,000 students|
|1966||Enrollment reaches 15,000 students|
|1968||The College of Education is established|
|1974||The Maintenance Shop opens in the Memorial Union|
|1979||The College of Design is established|
|1984||The College of Business is established|
|1988||First VEISHEA Riot|
|1992||Second VEISHEA Riot|
|1999||Central Campus is listed as a "medallion site" by the American Society of Landscape Architects|
|2004||Third VEISHEA Riot|
|2005||The College of Education and the College of Family and Consumer Sciences are combined to create the College of Human Sciences|
|2006||VEISHEA returns after being canceled for 2005; is deemed a huge success|
|2008||Sesquicentennial of Iowa State|