The Inverness Invitational Four-Ball
was a golf tournament on the PGA Tour
from 1935 to 1953. It was played at the Inverness Club
in Toledo, Ohio
The tournament featured an unusual team round robin
format. From 1935 to 1951, the field consisted of eight two-man teams. They would play seven rounds totalling 126 holes in four-ball format. A team earned or lost points on each hole, in a match play
style, based on their score versus the opposing team for that round. A team scored "+1" for each hole won and "-1" for each hole lost. The teams were shuffled after every round so that every team played one round against every other team. The team with the most points after seven rounds won.
In 1952, the field was six teams and they played over five rounds for a total of 90 holes.
In 1953, the format shifted to traditional 72-hole stroke play with a field of 30 players.
The women's invitational replaced the men's event in 1954.
Inverness Invitational Four-Ball