Ingleburn is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Ingleburn is located 44 kilometres south-west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of City of Campbelltown. Ingleburn lies approximately half way between the two commercial centres of Liverpool and Campbelltown.
In 1869, a rail platform was built on the old Neale grant and given the name Macquarie Fields Station after a property to the north. However, in 1881 the Macquarie Fields estate subdivided to become the new village of Macquarie Fields. The fact that the station was a long way from the village caused confusion so a new name was sought for the station and Ingleburn was chosen in 1883. One theory has it was named after a local house formerly owned by Mary Ruse, daughter of pioneer James Ruse. Other records indicate it was named after a British town although the corresponding town hasn't been identified.
The village of Ingleburn was established in 1885 when the land owned by a developer called FitzStubbs was subdivided. A public school was opened in 1887 followed by a post office in 1889. By 1896, the town was large enough to have its own municipal council. Town improvements such as street lights and water did not arrive until after World War I. In 1948 the Council was merged with the City of Campbelltown Council.
In 1969, a large area west of the railway line was rezoned to become an industrial estate. Protests from local residents saw the plan halted temporarily but within ten years, the west side of the town had become largely industrial and remains so to this day. More housing subdivisions were made on the outskirts of town in the 1970s including Housing Commission developments.
Bus services to and from Ingleburn are provided by both Interline and Busabout.
Other sporting parks include Wood Park, behind Ingleburn High School.
Smaller recreational reserves and parks are located between Kingfisher Road and Currawong Street, on Matthew Square, on Currawong Street behind Holy Family Catholic School and another behind Sackville Street Public School.