is an established, residential suburb
, with some parklands, of about 8,500 people in the South Australian
capital city of Adelaide
. It is located at the base of the Mount Lofty Ranges
foothills, around 12 kilometers north-east of Adelaide's central business district
. It covers an area of 4.47 kilometer² with a population density of 19.41 people per hectare
James Rowe came to South Australia in 1836, spending some time on Kangaroo Island
then settling with his family in the Ingle Farm area in 1848. They initially took up in section 3030, Hundred of Yatala in 1849, using the land primarily for farming wheat
. John Rowe's grandson, Jabez Sleeman Rowe, took on the farm and married Martha Barbara Wright (Born 24 May 1868
) from Inglewood in 1902, consequently naming the farm Ingle Farm
. In 1959, the South Australian Housing Trust
purchased from the Rowe brothers and started a housing estate, with the first Housing Trust homes
built in 1965 and 2,500 houses completed by 1975. The Rowe family name is preserved in the naming of Rowe Park
, next to Ingle Farm Primary School
, and Rowe Street
in the adjoining suburb of Para Hills
In the 2006 Australian Bureau of Statistics Census of Population and Housing, the population of the Ingle Farm census area was 8,474 people, in an area of 4.47 kilometer². Females outnumbered males 50.4% to 49.6%. Some 25.7% of the population was born overseas. Ingle Farm has experienced a decreasing population since 1996 resulting from few new houses being constructed and a general decrease in the average number of people living in each house.
The oldest of the 3 primary schools in the area is Ingle Farm East Primary School (Halidon Street), which opened in 1970. North Ingle Primary (Rothwell Avenue) opened in 1973. Since its opening the enrolments steadily grew until it hit a peak of approximately 500 students in the late 70's and early 80's but currently is now only about 150. Ingle Farm Primary School (Belalie Road) was established in 1992 after the amalgamation of Ingle Farm Central Primary, Ingle Farm Heights Primary and the old Ingle Farm Primary School. Enrolments in 2007 were 465 students . It has a well established New Arrivals Program for migrants and supports students from non English speaking backgrounds.
Ingle Farm Primary School is located at the old Ingle Farm High School site. Ingle Farm High School was open from 1975 to 1991 and amalgamated with Para Vista High to form Valley View Secondary School. Ingle Farm Kindergarten (Beovich Road) also opened in 1975.
Ingle Farm is part of the electoral district of Playford and votes very strongly for the Australian Labor Party, with the district remaining a safe Labor seat since its creation in 1970.