is the flagship campus of the Indiana University system
. It is also known as "Indiana University Bloomington," "Indiana," or simply IU
, and is located in Bloomington, Indiana
IU has 110 academic programs ranked in the nation's top 20. Twenty-nine graduate programs and four colleges at Indiana University are ranked among the top 25 in the country in the U.S. News & World Report's Best Graduate Schools 2001-2002. Time magazine named Indiana University its "2001 College of the Year" among major research universities. Indiana is one of 60 members of the Association of American Universities, the leading American research universities. The university's intercollegiate athletic program boasts 25 national championship teams (including seven in soccer, six in swimming and five in basketball) and 133 individual national championships (including 79 in swimming and 31 in track and field).
IU's total student enrollment in the fall semester of 2007 was 38,990 students. Indiana University's freshman experience was recognized by U.S. News & World Report in 2003 as among the best in the country. The tenth annual Newsweek-Kaplan College Guide, which appeared in the August 22, 2005 issue of Newsweek magazine, chose IU as its "Hottest Big State School" and extolled the campus's blend of tradition with emerging technologies. IU was the only Big Ten institution included.
USA Today called Bloomington one of the top 10 student-friendly college towns. The university offers the latest in technology: IU was ranked as one of the top five wired universities in America according to Princeton Review and PC Magazine.
Of students enrolled in fall 2006, 1,669 (4.4%) were African-Americans, 1,339 (3.5%) were Asian, 889 (2.3%) were Hispanic, and 105 (0.3%) were American Indian. More women (19,821) were enrolled than men (18,426). Currently, the IU student body contains students from every state in the U.S. as well as over 159 foreign nations.
Indiana University also has a wide variety of extracurricular organizations and clubs (over 400) to keep students active and involved beyond academics. IU is also home to a Greek system: nearly 5,000 students (about 17 percent of undergraduates) join one of the 47 fraternities and sororities.
Indiana's state government in Corydon founded Indiana University in 1820 as the "State Seminary". It was originally located at what is now called Seminary Square Park near the intersection of Second Street and College Avenue. The 1816 Indiana state constitution required that the General Assembly
(Indiana's state legislature
) create a "general system of education, ascending in a regular gradation, from township schools to a state university, wherein tuition shall be gratis, and equally open to all." It took some time for the legislature to fulfill its promise, partly due to a debate regarding whether the Indiana Territory's land-grant public university
—what is now Vincennes University
—should be adopted as the State of Indiana's public university or whether a new public university should be founded in Bloomington to replace the territorial university. While the original state-issued legislative charter for IUB was granted in 1820, construction began in 1822; the first professor was hired in 1823; classes were offered in 1824. The first class graduated in 1830. Throughout this period and until the rechartering of Vincennes University from a four-year institution to a two-year institution in 1889, a legal-cum-political battle was fought between the territorial-chartered public university in Vincennes and the State of Indiana on behalf of the state-chartered public university in Bloomington, including the legal case (Trustees for Vincennes University v Indiana
, 1853) which was appealed to the Supreme Court of the United States
IU developed rapidly in its first years. The hiring of Andrew Wylie, its first president, in 1828 signified the school's growing professionalism. The General Assembly changed the school's name to "Indiana College" in the same year. In 1838 the legislature changed the school's name for a final time to Indiana University.
Wylie's death in 1851 marks the end of the university's first period of development. IU now had nearly a hundred students and seven professors. Despite the university's more obviously secular purpose, presidents and professors were still expected to set a moral example for their charges. It was only in 1885 that a non-clergyman, biologist David Starr Jordan, became president.
Between Wylie and Jordan's administrations, the University grew slowly. Few changes rocked the university's repose. One development is interesting to modern scholars: the college admitted its first woman student, Sarah Parke Morrison in 1867, making IU the one of the first state universities to admit women on an equal basis with men. Morrison went on to become the first female professor at IU in 1873.
In 1883, IU awarded its first Ph.D. and played its first intercollegiate sport, baseball, prefiguring the school's future status as a major research institution and a power in collegiate athletics. But another incident that year was far more important to the university: the university's original campus in Seminary Square near the center of Bloomington burned to the ground. Instead of rebuilding in Seminary Square, as had been the practice following previous blazes, the college was rebuilt between 1884 and 1908 at the far eastern edge of Bloomington. (Today, Bloomington has expanded eastward, and the "new" campus is once again at the center of the city.)
The first extension office of IU was opened in Indianapolis in 1916. In 1920/1921 the School of Music and the School of Commerce and Finance (what later became the Kelley School of Business) were opened. In the 1940s Indiana University opened extension campuses in Kokomo and Fort Wayne. The controversial Kinsey Institute for sexual research was established in 1947.
The IU campus is considered one of the most beautiful college campuses in the nation, with its abundance of flowering plants and trees and graceful, limestone buildings. Art critic Thomas Gaines
called IU one of America's five most beautiful universities in The Campus as a Work of Art
IUB's 1,933 acres (7.8 km²) includes abundant green space and historic buildings dating to the university's reconstruction in the late nineteenth century. The campus rests on a bed of Indiana limestone, specifically Salem limestone and Harrodsburg limestone, with outcroppings of St. Louis limestone. The "Jordan River" is a stream flowing through the center of campus. It is named for David Starr Jordan, Darwinist, ichthyologist, and president of IU and later Stanford University.
Facilities and architecture
Many of the campus's buildings, especially the older central buildings, are made from Indiana limestone
quarried locally. The Works Progress Administration
built much of the campus's core during the Great Depression. Many of the campus's buildings were built and most of its land acquired during the 1950s and 1960s, when first soldiers attending under the GI Bill
and then the baby boom
swelled the university's enrollment from 5,403 in 1940 to 30,368 in 1970.
The Bryan House is the traditional on-campus home of the university president. In the 17,000-seat Assembly Hall (home to the IU NCAA basketball team), there are five NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship banners on display. (For more on athletic facilities, see Indiana Hoosiers.)
The 1979 movie Breaking Away was filmed on location in Bloomington and the IU campus. It also featured a reenactment of the annual Little 500 bicycle race.
Indiana Memorial Union
The Indiana Memorial Union (IMU), the second largest student union in the United States, is the campus centerpiece — a place where students go to study, relax, eat, sleep, bowl, play pool, watch movies, and even shop. In addition to numerous stores and restaurants, it features an eight-story student activities tower, a 186-room hotel, a 400-seat theatre, a Alumni Hall, of meeting space, and a Starbucks. Nearly 20,000 people go through the Union on a typical school day. The IMU houses an outstanding collection of Indiana art including artists from Brown County, the Hoosier Group
, Richmond Group
The Fine Arts Library
The Fine Arts Library houses Indiana University's books and journals in the fields of the visual arts, art history, architecture, design and related disciplines and supports the academic needs of the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts, and the Indiana University Department of Fine Arts. The collection comprises over 130,000 volumes and 390 periodicals, including collections of circulating slides and plates and a non-circulating collection of over 900 artists' books.
IU's first Fine Arts Library was established in the late 1930s as part of the Departmental office on the second floor, east wing of the University Library which was then located in Franklin Hall. The Fine Arts Library has gone through many changes and now comprises over 100,000 volumes and 390 periodicals, including collections of circulating slides and plates and a non-circulating collection of over 500 artists' books.
Herman B Wells Library
IU's Herman B Wells
Library is the 13th largest university library in North America. Prior to a ceremony in June 2005 when it was renamed for IU's beloved former president and chancellor, this building was simply called the Main Library. Built in 1969, the building contains eleven floors in the graduate tower and five floors in the undergraduate tower. The building also contains the Information Commons, a fully-integrated technology center for learning and collaboration which attracts 82 percent of all undergraduate students. (IU Libraries recently earned their highest ranking ever, advancing to 12th place in a survey of North American academic research libraries.)
An oft-repeated urban legend holds that the library sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building. The IU Bloomington Libraries website even hosts an official page dedicated to debunking this myth, stating, among other things, that the building's foundation rests squarely on a 94 ft (28.6 m) thick limestone bedrock.
The Lilly Library
The Lilly Library is one of the largest rare book and manuscript libraries in the United States. Founded in 1960 with the collection of J.K. Lilly, owner of Lilly Pharmaceuticals
, the library now contains approximately 400,000 rare books, 6.5 million manuscripts, and 100,000 pieces of sheet music. The library's holdings are particularly strong in British and American history and literature, Latin Americana, medicine and science, food and drink, children's literature, fine printing and binding, popular music, medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, and early printing. Notable items in the library's collections include the New Testament of the Gutenberg Bible, the first printed collection of Shakespeare's works, Audubon's Birds of America
, one of 25 extant copies of the "First Printing of the Declaration of Independence" (also known as the "Dunlap Broadside") that was printed in Philadelphia on July 4
, George Washington's letter accepting the presidency of the United States, Abraham Lincoln's desk from his law office, a leaf from the famous Abraham Lincoln "Sum Book" ca. 1824-1826, Lord Chesterfield's
letters to his son, the manuscripts of Robert Burns's "Auld Lang Syne", J. M. Synge's The Playboy of the Western World
, and J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan
, and typescripts of many of Ian Fleming's
James Bond novels. The library also owns the papers of Hollywood directors Orson Welles
and John Ford
, the poets Sylvia Plath
and Ezra Pound
, and authors Edith Wharton
and Upton Sinclair
. In 2006, the library received a collection of 30,000 mechanical puzzles from Jerry Slocum
. The collection will be on permanent display. Special permission is not required to use the collections, and the library has several exhibition galleries which are open to the public.
Built as a federal Works Progress Administration
(WPA) project, the auditorium - located in the heart of campus - opened on March 22
. Designed by architects Eggers & Higgins
, it has been host for the last sixty years to the world's top performers and entertainers. The Auditorium is also home to Thomas Hart Benton
's "Century of Progress" murals, painted for the 1933 Chicago World's Fair
, the priceless Dailey Family Memorial Collection of Hoosier Art, and two Robert Laurent
sculptures. It is also home to the 4500 pipe Schantz Organ, which is played for university ceremonies and other special events. Closed for a $13 million renovation and restoration in 1997, the Auditorium reopened in 1999.
IU Art Museum
The IU Art Museum was first established in 1941 with a later building being designed by the world-renowned architecture firm I.M. Pei
and Partners. In its unique design, it has no right angles in its construction. Completed in 1982, the museum collection of over 30,000 objects includes works by Claude Monet
and Jackson Pollock
. The museum has particular strengths in the art of Africa, Oceania, the Americas, Ancient Greece and Rome, and Early Modernism, and its collections of works on paper (prints, drawings and photographs). The IU Art Museum is also ranked as one of the top five university art museums along with Stanford
, and Yale
Notable artists who have their work displayed there include Marcel Duchamp, Pablo Picasso, and Henri Matisse.
Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center
Founded in 2002, the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center is named after Marcellus Neal and Frances Marshall, early African American graduates from Indiana University. In addition to the culture center, it is also the home to the African American Cultural Center Library, the African American Arts Institute and the Office of Diversity Education.
Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center
In January 2002, IU opened the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center on the Bloomington campus, adjacent to the old Theatre Building. The building is beautifully designed, and provides state-of-the-art technology, expansive and well-planned workshops, spacious directing and acting studios, and two vital, new performance spaces. The Ruth N. Halls Theatre is a 443-seat proscenium space and is the venue for four season productions each academic year in addition to a University faculty dance concert. The Wells-Metz Theatre is a 236 seat flexible venue which is home to 4 season productions each academic year. An intimate space with audience as close as from the action, the Wells-Metz has been the location of musicals and large Shakespearean productions, as well as small cast shows. With a full stage trap room and overhead suspension grid, the theatre has become known for its environmental productions with performers playing throughout the space from trap to grid.
On October 16
, Simon Hall (Multidisciplinary Science Building Phase I), IU's first new science structure completed in 50 years, was dedicated by Eli Lilly
's CEO Sidnet Taurel. The $55.7 million dollar structure is part of Indiana University's life science initiative. The building will house cell biologists, microbiologists, molecular biologists, geneticists, analytical chemists and biochemists, and biophysicists.
Multidisciplinary Science Building Phase II officially broke ground on September 27, 2007 and aims to expand and deepen IU's research operations. The $45.9 million dollar structure is expected to be completed in 2009.
IU has over 120 majors and programs ranked in the nation's top 20. 29 graduate programs and four schools at Indiana University are ranked among the top 25 in the country in the US News & World Report
's Best Graduate Schools 2001–02. Time
magazine named IU its 2001 College of the Year among major research universities. Newsweek
named it the Hottest Big State School in the Nation in 2005. The Institute of Higher Education at Shanghai Jiao Tong University ranked Indiana University as the 90th best university in the world.
Upon assuming leadership of Indiana University, one of President Adam Herbert's biggest initiatives focused on "mission differentiation" for IU's eight campuses, which includes making the flagship Bloomington campus choosier among freshman applicants. Under the proposal, IUB would educate the professionals, executives and researchers while the regional campuses would educate the state's remaining labor force. Advocates believe it will rejuvenate Indiana's economy while critics argue it betrays the university's mission of educating more of Indiana's populace.
The university's academic system is divided into one large "College" (which itself contains one school) and twelve other schools and divisions. Together, these thirteen units offer more than 900 individual degree programs and majors.
College of Arts and Sciences
The College of Arts and Sciences, known as the College, is the largest of the University's academic divisions, and is home to more than 40 percent of IU's undergraduates. In addition, the College offers many electives and general education courses for students enrolled in most other schools on campus. There are more than 50 academic departments in the College, encompassing a broad range of disciplines from the traditional (such as biology, chemistry, mathematics, and English) to more modern and specialized areas, including Jewish Studies, History and Philosophy of Science
, and International Studies. Through the College, IU also offers instruction in over 40 foreign languages, one of the largest language study offerings at any American
university. IU is the only university in the nation that offers a degree in Hungarian (although it was done through the Individualized Major Program) and is the first university in the United States to offer a doctorate in gender Studies
. The university's catalog at one time boasted that a student could study any language from Albanian to Uzbek. The College is the parent division for fifteen individual research institutes, and holds the distinction of being the only academic division within the university to house an autonomous school (The Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts) within it. A number of first- and second-year students from the Indiana University School of Medicine
(which is based at IUPUI
) complete their preclinical education at the Bloomington campus's Medical Science Program, which is housed within the Department of Biology
and the Indiana Molecular Biology Institute. The College is also home to the Department of Folklore
, the first formally established academic department in folklore at any United States university, and the only such department to integrate these two practices into one field. IU also features a world-class cyclotron
, the Indiana University Cyclotron Facility
, operated by the Department of Physics. The College also houses IU's Department of Theatre and Drama which offers a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre, a Master of Fine Arts in Acting, Directing, Playwriting or Design/Technology, and as of the 2007-2008 school year, a BFA in Musical Theatre. The highly selective BFA program provides the rigorous curriculum needed to train students in acting, singing and dancing.
School of Law
The Indiana University School of Law - Bloomington, founded in 1842, is one of the oldest schools on the Bloomington campus. It features a law library recently ranked first in the nation and is situated on the southwest corner of campus. In 2000, then-Chief Justice William Rehnquist presided over a mock trial of King Henry VIII in the school's moot courtroom. In the 2007 U.S. News & World Report rankings, the school was ranked 36th in the nation among law schools and 15th in public law schools. Notable alumni from the School of Law include songwriter Hoagy Carmichael, Supreme Court Justice Sherman Minton, and Vice-Chairman of the 9/11 Commission and former congressman Lee Hamilton.
School of Library and Information Science
The IU School of Library and Information Science was recently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the 7th best program of its type in the nation.
Jacobs School of Music
Founded in the beginning of the 20th century by Charles Campbell, the Jacobs School of Music is consistently regarded as one of the best college music schools in the United States. It especially excels in voice, opera, orchestral conducting, and jazz studies. It has been ranked #1 in the country tied with Juilliard
by U.S. News & World Report
With more than 1,600 students, the school is the largest of its kind in the US and among the largest in the world. The school's facilities, including five buildings located in the heart of campus, comprise recital halls, more than 170 practice rooms, choral and instrumental rehearsal rooms, and more than 100 offices and studios. Its prestigious faculty has included such notable names as János Starker
, Andre Watts
, Menahem Pressler
, Abbey Simon, Ray Cramer, David Baker
, Earl Bates, Carol Vaness
, Sylvia McNair
, and composer Sven-David Sandström
. Notable alumni include violinist Joshua Bell
, Edgar Meyer
, and soprano Angela Brown
Kelley School of Business
The Kelley School of Business was founded in 1920 as the University's School of Commerce and Finance. Approximately 6,100 students are enrolled in undergraduate, graduate Accountancy and Information Systems degrees, MBA
programs, and online degree program Kelley Direct.
Kelley is one of the top business schools in the United States. It is one of only three business schools in the nation for whom all undergraduate and graduate programs rank in the top 20 of the US News & World Report college rankings. In 2008, US News ranked the undergraduate program eleventh in the nation (sixth among public schools) and, in 2008, the MBA program 20th in the nation (seventh among public schools). In 2007, the Wall Street Journal ranked Kelley's MBA program fifth in the nation among regional programs. Kelley's programs in consumer products, and energy and industrial products and services were second, marketing was third and accounting, eighth. Business Week ranked the undergraduate program 16th in 2008 (sixth among public schools) and the graduate program 18th in the nation in 2007 and sixth among public schools. In addition, Business Week gave the undergraduate program an A in teaching and an A+ career services.
Division of Labor Studies
The Division of Labor Studies, formerly a unit housed within the School of Continuing Studies, was founded in the 1940s during the tenure of Herman B Wells in response to the growing role of organized labor in American society. Today, the Division is one of only several degree-granting programs in the nation for the area of labor studies or industrial relations. Over the past year, the Division has come under increased pressure to move to a larger academic unit, such as the College of Arts and Sciences. Notable faculty in recent years have included Leonard Page, General Counsel for the National Labor Relations Board during the Clinton Administration, and labor economist/author Michael Yates.
School of Education
The School of Education, formerly a part of the College of Arts and Science, has been independent since 1923. One of the largest schools of education in the United States, and consistently placed among the top 20 graduate schools of education in the United States by U.S. News, it offers a range of degrees in professional education: a B.S. in teacher education leading to a teaching license, M.S., education specialist (Ed. S.) and doctoral (Ed. D, Ph.D.) degrees.
School of Public and Environmental Affairs
The School of Public and Environmental Affairs (or SPEA) is the largest school of its kind in the United States. Through the wide array of concentrations and joint degrees SPEA offers, students can design an education corresponding to their interests. Founded in 1972, SPEA is known for its distinctive interdisciplinary approach. It brings together the social, natural, behavioral, and administrative sciences in one faculty.
In the most recent "Best Graduate Schools" (2009) survey by U.S. News & World Report, SPEA ranked second and is the nation’s highest-ranked graduate program in public affairs at a public institution. SPEA was ranked just behind Syracuse University and tied with Harvard. Six of its specialty programs are ranked in the top 10 listings; four others are in the top 20. While similar rankings do not yet exist for graduate schools of environmental science, SPEA's reputation in the field is growing. SPEA is also a founding member of the Council of Environmental Science Deans and Directors.
SPEA is the only institution in its league with an interdisciplinary character where students can combine environmental science and public affairs. Indiana University's other highly-ranked schools and programs complement SPEA’s offerings; the school has 15 joint programs in social and natural sciences and professional fields. For example, in conjunction with the Department of Political Science, SPEA offers a Joint Ph.D. Program in Public Policy, the only one of its kind in the country. In addition, it offers many joint Masters degrees, such as MPA/MSES; MPA/JD; and MSES/JD programs.
School of Journalism
School of Informatics
In 1999, the Indiana University School of Informatics
was established as an environment for research professors and students to develop new uses for information technology in order to solve specific problems in areas as diverse as biology, fine arts, and economics. Informatics is also interested in "how people transform technology, and how technology transforms us.
The School is one of a handful which offer degrees in Human-Computer Interaction. The School is the only one in the country to offer a formal degree which combines Human-Computer Interaction and Computer Security. In addition to the innovative HCI/security degree, the School offers master's degrees in Human-Computer Interaction Design, Music Informatics, Bioinformatics, Chemical Informatics, Security Informatics, and Computer Science.
On July 1, 2005 the Department of Computer Science officially moved from the College of Arts and Science to the School of Informatics. This move merged several faculty, bringing the total core faculty to over 100. Informatics also has strong ties with the School of Library and Information Sciences, Department of Telecommunications, Jacobs School of Music, and the Cognitive Science program.
IU's intercollegiate athletics program has a long tradition of excellence in several key sports. From its humble beginnings with baseball in 1867, the Hoosier athletic program has grown to include over 600 male and female student-athletes on 24 varsity teams boasting one of the nation's best overall records. Sports sponsored by the university include football, men's basketball, women's basketball, cross country and track, baseball, golf, tennis, rowing, volleyball, and more.
The Hoosiers became a member of the prestigious Big Ten Conference on December 1, 1899. The school's national affiliation is with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). National team titles (now totaling 25; 24 NCAA, 1 AIAW) have been won in six men's sports and one women's sport (tennis), topped by a record-setting six straight men's swimming & diving titles, seven men's soccer crowns and five titles in men's basketball. Indiana student-athletes have won 133 NCAA individual titles, including 79 in men's swimming and diving and 31 in men's track and field. In addition, IU teams have won or shared 157 Big Ten Conference championships.
The IU athletics endowment is $32 million, the largest in the Big Ten Conference. The Varsity Club, which is the fundraising arm of the Athletics Department, drew a record $11.5 million in gifts and pledges in the fiscal year 2004–05. In addition, overall annual giving has increased 8.3% in the last year and 44.8 percent in the last three years.
In spite of this giving, IU's athletics department has been unable to balance its budget. Because of this the university administration has attempted, thus far unsuccessfully, to double the athletics fee which students pay with their tuition each semester. A number of students argue that the athletics department's financial woes are its own problems, and that support of athletics should be voluntary. Others, especially in the athletics department, argue that athletic programs are an integral part of the university experience, and therefore everyone should pay into it, regardless of whether they are interested in it.
In addition to its rich tradition in intervarsity sports, IU also boasts a strong reputation in many non-varsity sports. Many of these "club" teams, especially those in ice hockey and rugby union, have achieved a great deal of success in intercollegiate competition. The consistent success of these athletic clubs has several times led the university to establish varsity programs in sports in which there had previously not been a team for NCAA intervarsity competition.
It should also be noted that a large percentage of the IU student body regularly participates in both formal and/or informal intramural sports, including soccer, tennis, basketball, and golf. Among intramural athletics, IU's reputation for student participation and instruction in the martial arts is particularly strong.
In February 2008 it was announced by the NCAA that Indiana University is under investigation for 5 Major recruiting violations committed by former men's basketball head coach Kelvin Sampson and his coaching staff. These violations arose out of the same conduct previously self-reported to the NCAA by IU officials. The original report included Indiana's belief in Sampson's claim the violations were accidental and due to a misunderstanding concerning the rules. In addition to the original violations, the NCAA's "major" violations claim included an accusation that Sampson had lied to the NCAA and Indiana officials in that original investigation and report. Kelvin Sampson resigned on February 23, 2008, but IU may still face additional consequences in formal NCAA proceedings in the summer of 2008.
Media outlets of Indiana University include:
- WFIU radio - public radio including NPR and local programming, but predominantly classical music
- WTIU television - PBS station including national and local programming.
- IUSTV (Indiana University Student Television) - an entirely student run television station broadcasting to over 12,000 on campus residents and over 40,000 Bloomington residents via Community Access Television. Founded in 2002, IUSTV has quickly grown to be a leading media entity and student organization on campus.
- Indiana Daily Student - free daily newspaper fully supported financially through ad sales. Founded in 1867, it has a circulation of over 15,000 and is produced by IU students.
- WIUX - an entirely student run radio station that broadcasts currently on FM 99.1 and via live internet streaming on its website. It broadcasts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during the fall and spring semesters. Besides playing independent music, the station provides coverage of nine different Indiana University sports teams. The station was established in 1963 under the call letters WQAD. It was granted a low-power FM licence in the spring of 2005, and transitioned to FM in early 2006.
- IU Home Pages, faculty and staff news: In print, the audience includes approximately 17,000 employees on eight campuses—an audience of varied backgrounds and experience such as groundskeepers, hospital workers, Nobel laureates, administrative assistants, clerical, professional and technical workers as well as professors and administrators.
With over 1,823 full-time faculty members, Indiana University leads the Big Ten
public universities in the number of endowed faculty positions, with 333 chairs, professorships, and curators. IUB also reported in fall 2004 that it employed 334 part-time faculty, totaling 1,877 full-time equivalents. Of the full-time faculty, 76% were tenured. Like the student body, IUB's faculty is predominantly white. Of full-time administrators, faculty, and lecturers, 118 (6%) were Asian, 74 (4%) were African-American, 62 (4%) were Hispanic, 5 (0.3%) were Native American, and 1,535 (85%) were "other." More men (62%) than women held academic appointments at the university.
Professors at IUB were better paid than their counterparts in the IU system. A full professor earned an average of $126,500, an associate professor $89,000, and an assistant professor $74,400.
Notable faculty and alumni