Inanda (isiZulu: Pleasant Place) is a town in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa that is situated 24 km inland from Durban and now forms part of eThekwini, the Greater Durban Metropolitan Municipality. Geographically, Inanda is near KwaMashu and Ntuzuma, and is well-known as the burial site of John Langalibalele Dube, a politician and the first president of the ANC. Inanda has an independent girls' secondary school called Inanda Seminary. This school was founded in 1869 by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, with Mary Kelly Edwards as its first principal; Judy Tate is the current principal. This school has received several donations which enabled it to upgrade its facilities and retain its independent status.
Inanda is extensive and subdivided into smaller townships (villages), namely Inanda Newtown A, B and C, Inanda Glebe, Amaoti, Emachobeni, etc. Inanda is also where Isaiah Shembe, the founder of the Ibandla lamaNazaretha the Nazareth Baptist Church established the original headquarters of the church, named Ekuphakameni. One section of the church continues to use this site while another hs made its headquarters at nearby Ebuhleni.
Stores like Spar, Shoprite, etc. contribute to the community. There is also an interesting place at Inanda named after John Langalibalele Dube - it is a small village called Dube. It is where MAFUKUZELA (John Langalibalele) lived. He built three schools there - the first one being Amandlakayise Primary School, the second one Langalibalele High Primary School, and the last one called Ohlange High School.
This place is a tourist attraction because of its rich history about Mafukuzela, the first president of the ANC, and the founder of the first Isizulu News paper Ilanga Lasenatali. Dube Village, which is situated at Inanda, is enjoying increasing investment and development.
The Phoenix Settlement founded by Mahatma Gandhi in 1904 is also in this town(lower Inanda) and is close to Redfern Primary School and a squatter camp area called Bambayi that established in the early 80s. After being subjected to much damage and destruction during the political-apartheid riots of 1985, this settlement was reopened in February 2000 by President Thabo Mbeki.