The church was used for their worship by the English during the year in which they ruled Havana. When it returned to Spanish rule, they chose not to use it as a church. It is now used for concerts. Attached to the Basilica is a bell tower (138-ft). Originally a statue of St. Francis of Assisi stood on the top of the bell tower but it was destroyed by a cyclone in 1846.
The cloister of the adjacent monastery which dates back to 1739 now houses a museum of holy art. In front of the Basilica stands a bronze life-size statue by Jose Villa Soberon of Jose Maria Lopez Lledin known as El Caballero de Paris (1899-1985) who is buried inside the Basilica.
The Plaza de San Francisco which is next to the basilica was always commercial.
El Oratorio "El Mesías" de Georg Frederich Hándel en la Iglesia de San Francisco de Asis en Tijuana y St. Paul's Cathedral de San Diego
Nov 21, 2007; "Intervienen: Coro Opera de Tijuana, Cora PACEM de San Diego y Coro Pro Música Ensenada" El monumental oratorio de Georg...