Situated on the Right Bank of the River Seine, it is bordered to the west by the 1st arrondissement; to the north by the 3rd, to the east by the 11th and 12th, and to the south by the Seine and the 5th.
The 4th arrondissement contains the Renaissance-era Paris City Hall. It also contains the Renaissance square of Place des Vosges, the overtly modern Pompidou Centre and the southern lively part of the medieval district of Le Marais, which today is known for being the gay district of Paris (while the northern more quiet part of Le Marais is contained inside the 3rd arrondissement). The eastern parts of the Île de la Cité (including Notre-Dame de Paris) as well as the Île Saint-Louis are also included within the 4th arrondissement.
The peak of population of the 4th arrondissement actually occurred before 1861, though the arrondissement has existed in its current shape only since the re-organization of Paris in 1860. In 1999, the population was 30,675, while the arrondissement hosted 41,424 jobs.
(of French censuses)
(inh. per km²)
|1861 (peak of population)¹||108,520||67,783|