is a 2003 psychological horror
film, directed by James Mangold
and written by Michael Cooney. The film stars John Cusack
, Ray Liotta
and Amanda Peet
. The plot was inspired by Agatha Christie
's novel And Then There Were None
Malcolm Rivers (Pruitt Taylor Vince
) is on death row
about to be executed for a series of murders, but his doctor (Alfred Molina
) argues that Rivers has multiple personalities
, one of which is a psychopathic
killer who committed the murders. He has been encouraging Rivers through therapy
to have all his many personalities meet in one place where hopefully the violent one can eventually be identified and eliminated.
In a parallel story, several strangers, each with a secret of their own, meet in a motel where they are being killed one by one.
The film, which was modestly budgeted, exceeded expectations at the box-office. This was largely attributed to its advertising campaign, which went on to win several "Best of..." awards that year. It was also reasonably well received in the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. The film was nominated for a Teen Choice Award in 2003.
- John Cusack as Ed, a limousine driver for actress Caroline Suzanne. Ed turns out to be an experienced police officer on extended medical leave due to the pressures of the job; his sense of duty and police instincts re-emerge during the crisis at the motel.
- Ray Liotta as Rhodes, a hotheaded police detective transporting a convicted serial killer.
- Amanda Peet as Paris, a prostitute who is on her way home, hoping to leave her old life behind.
- John Hawkes as Larry, a compulsive gambler who wandered into a motel and, finding the manager dead, decided on a whim to become the de facto manager when travelers unexpectedly showed up and asked him for a room.
- Clea DuVall as Ginny, a newlywed, married to Lou.
- John C. McGinley as George York, the high strung, orderly husband of Alice York and stepfather of Timmy York.
- William Lee Scott as Lou , Ginny's unloving husband.
- Jake Busey as Robert Maine, a convicted serial killer being transported across Nevada.
- Pruitt Taylor Vince as Malcolm Rivers, a convicted serial killer who suffers from dissociative identity disorder and is about to be executed.
- Alfred Molina as Dr. Malick, a psychiatrist working for Rivers' defense.
- Rebecca De Mornay as Caroline Suzanne, a high maintenance B-movie star who is being driven by Ed. She is very insincere after Ed accidentally hits Alice with his car.
- Carmen Argenziano as Defense Lawyer.
- Marshall Bell as District Attorney.
- Leila Kenzle as Alice York, wife of George York and mother of Timmy York.
- Matt Letscher as Assistant District Attorney.
- Bret Loehr as Timmy York, the young son of Alice York and stepson of George York.
- Holmes Osborne as Judge Taylor.
- Frederick Coffin as Detective Varole.
- Joe Hart as Bailiff Jenkins.
- Michael Hirsch as Naked Businessman.
- Terence Bernie as Hines Bailiff.
- Stuart M. Besser as Frozen Body.
There was some location shooting in Lancaster and other places in Los Angeles County, but the majority of the movie was shot on a sound stage at Sony Studios in Culver City.
In pop culture
Rapper Chino XL has made a song loosely based upon this movie entitled "Skin" from his album Poison Pen.