The University of Idaho College of Law
is located on the main campus of the University of Idaho
. Established in 1909, it is currently the only law school located in the state of Idaho. The College of Law has been accredited by the American Bar Association
since 1925 and a member of the Association of American Law Schools
The College of Law enrolls 308 students with a first year class of about 105 students. As a public school, approximately 60% of students come from Idaho, and the remaining 40% come from over 24 states and foreign countries. Over 100 colleges and universities are represented. Of enrolled students, minorities comprise 14.3% of the student population and women comprise 44.8% of the student population.
The law school will expand with a second law center in Boise, Idaho. This is expected to open in the next couple years.
Admissions & Bar Passage Rate
For the 2007-2008 academic year, approximately 44% of applicants were admitted to the first year class. The median GPA was 3.36 and the median LSAT score was 155.
Idaho bar passage rates for the previous year was 88% for first-time takers. Of recent graduates seeking employment, 92% were employed within 9 months with the majority working in law firms or as judicial clerks.
Resident tuition is $10,200 per year while non-resident tuition is $20,280 per year. Non-residents cannot gain Idaho residency solely by being in the state for education purposes.
Degrees Offered & Curriculum
The College of Law offers the traditional Juris Doctor
(JD) degree, as well as several joint degrees.
Joint degrees include:
- JD/MS/PhD in Water Resources Management offered as part of the Water of the West initiative in cooperation with the University of Idaho College of Natural Resources.
- JD/MS in Environmental Science degree in cooperation with the University of Idaho College of Graduate Studies Environmental Science Program.
- JD/Master of Accounting degree in cooperation with the University of Idaho College of Business and Economics.
- JD/Master of Business Administration is offered in cooperation with Washington State University.
The curriculum is based on traditional law courses and includes pro bono work (law related public service), several legal clinics, externships with either federal or state courts, internships with private law firms or public organizations, and a semester-in-practice program offered in Boise, Idaho.
There are over 3,000 living alumni. Some alumni include:
- Candy Wagahoff Dale - United States Magistrate Judge for the District of Idaho. Class of 1982.
- Jim McClure - Republican U.S. Senator from Idaho. Class of '50.
- Frank Shrontz - Past chairman and CEO of The Boeing Company. Class of '54.
- Jim Risch - Governor of Idaho (2006 - 2007); Current Lt. Governor and candidate for U.S. Senate. Class of '68.
- Linda Copple Trout - Idaho Supreme Court Justice (1992-2007). Former Chief Justice (1997-2004). Class of '77.
- Bill Sali - Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Idaho's First District. Class of '84.
- Daniel T. Eismann - Chief Justice of the Idaho Supreme Court.