The museum is situated on an 80-foot bluff overlooking the Tennessee River and downtown Chattanooga. The building itself represents three distinct architectural stages: the original 1904 classical revival mansion which has housed the museum since its opening in 1952, a brutalist addition built in 1975, and a 2005 addition designed by Randall Stout which now serves as the entrance to the museum. With the 2005 expansion the Hunter extended toward downtown, and the recently completed walking bridge over Riverside Drive provides a pedestrian-friendly connection to the nearby Walnut Street Bridge and riverfront attractions.
LIVELY URBAN HIKE THROUGH DOWNTOWN CHATTANOOGA CO-SPONSORED BY OUTDOOR CHATTANOOGA & THE HUNTER MUSEUM ON JAN. 19
Jan 16, 2008; The city of Chattanooga issued the following press release: Reminder: Outdoor Chattanooga and the Hunter Museum will host a...