Few people know much about the life of Hung Shing (or respectfully known as Hung Shing Ye). Even those who claim to know tell different stories. According to legend, the original name of Hung Shing was Hung Hei, the Governor of Kwong Lee in the Tang dynasty (A.D. 618-907). Hung Hei was a righteous government official who won approbation from the people. During his tenure in office, he encouraged the study of astronomy, geography and mathematics. He even set up an astronomical observatory and his precise weather forecasting proved to be of enormous value to traders and fishermen. After Hung Shing's death, the reigning emperor disseminated his virtues to the whole country and bestowed upon him the posthumous title of "Kwong Lee Hung Shing Tai Wong". It is said that Hung Shing still blessed the villagers after his death and had showed his presence to save many people during tempests.
Worshippers of Hung Shing go to pray in the temple on the 1st and the 15th day of every lunar month, likewise on the birthday of Kwun Yum, the Goddess of Mercy.
Constructed before 1847
, Hung Shing Temple
on Queen's Road
East, in Wan Chai
, Hong Kong
, used to overlook the sea front.
Purely designed, this tile-roofed temple was built on large boulders against a craggy terrain. Succeeding to a number of reclamations, it now bears an arresting appearance in the middle of modern commercial and residential buildings. It is Grade I Historic Building.
Hung Shing Temple on Kau Sai Chau
is thought to have dated from 1889(the 9th year of the Emperor Guangxu) according to the stone plaque at its front door. Base on the records of the villagers, the temple was renovated in 1949,1961 and more recently in 1985. In 1999,another conservation project of the Temple was made possible by a donation of HK$2 million from the Hong Kong Jockey Club
Charities Trust and an additional funding of HK$300,000 from the Antiquities and Monuments Office. With its completion in March 2000, this project was awarded the Outstanding Project Award, UNESCO Asia Pacific Heritage 2000 Awards for Culture Heritage Conservation.
It is one of the Declared monuments of Hong Kong.
The Hung Shing Temple is situated at Hang Mei Tsuen of Ping Shan
. It was constructed by the Tang Clan
residing in Ping Shan. Base on the year inscribed on the board inside the Temple, it was probably built in Dinghai (1767) during the Qianlong
reign of the Qing Dynasty. The existing structure was rebuilt in the fifth year of the Tongzhi
reign (1866) of the Qing Dynasty followed by a substantial renovation in 1963.