(born 1942) is an Australian author
, and cultural commentator. He has written many books on a wide range of subjects covering history, the media, politics and the visual arts. He also appears on radio and is regularly asked to speak at public lectures and conferences.
He was born in Brisbane and educated at Marist College Ashgrove and the University of Queensland. He moved to Canberra where he taught at the Australian National University. Between 1972 and 1974 he developed Australia's first full-year university course on 20th Century Australian History.
- A New Britannia, 1970
- Aborigines, Race and Racism, Penguin, 1974
- Australia's Media Monopolies, 1977
- The Black Swan of Trespass: The Emergence of Modernist Painting in Australia 1918-1944, 1979
- Social Sketches of Australia 1888 - 1975, Penguin, 1980, ISBN 0-14-004435-3
- Gone Tomorrow, 1983
- Gallipoli to Petrov, 1989
- Temper Democratic, 1995
- Tom Roberts, 1996 ISBN 0732908353
- Suspect History, 1997