In J. R. R. Tolkien's fictional universe of Middle-earth, the Houses of Healing were the houses that stood in the sixth circle of Minas Tirith, surrounded by lawns and trees, where the healers of Gondor did their work.
The eldest of the women that attended the sick was Ioreth, who cared for many of the wounded after the Battle of Pelennor Fields, including Faramir who had been wounded by an Orc-arrow, as well as Éowyn and Merry, both of whom had been injured grievously while slaying the Witch-king of Angmar. Aragorn later entered the city as a Captain of the Dúnedain of Arnor, as Faramir was still the Steward of Gondor. As Aragorn revealed himself Ioreth said, The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known. Arargorn then healed the wounded, crushing leaves of athelas in steaming bowls, to make a healing brew.
When Aragorn and the Captains of the West led their forces to challenge the Black Gate of Mordor, Éowyn and Faramir were left in the care of the Warden of the Houses of Healing, where they met and fell in love. After the destruction of the Ring of Power and the return of Aragorn to the throne of Gondor, they were wed, and Éowyn became Lady of Ithilien.
Houses of healing: sacred space, spiritual practice, and the transformation of female suffering in the faith cure movement, 1870-90.(Forum on Sacred Spaces of Healing in Modern American Christianity)
Sep 01, 2006; In the autumn of 1876, while attending the nation's Centennial celebration, Miss Harriet M. Barker contracted a case of typhoid...