In September 1955 a prehistoric arrowhead and a worked flake were found in a garden in the parish. The arrowhead was dated to the period between the Early Bronze Age and the Early Iron Age (2350 BC to 701 BC). In 1995 aerial photography showed evidence of a Roman practice fort near to Hoole Hall. It is believed that the Roman road from Chester to Wilderspool (now part of Warrington) passed through the parish.
Hoole Hall was built as a large house around 1720. The hall itself, its attached conservatory built in the mid 19th century, and the ha-ha wall and railings of the west terrace of the house are Grade II listed buildings. The hall is now used as a hotel. Also listed Grade II is a restored pinfold in Oak Lane.