Hitwise is an internet monitor which collects data directly from ISP networks. Hitwise bands the aggregate usage information into commercial verticals (travel, finance, retail, etc). The Hitwise product is a commercial platform whereby customers pay Hitwise a premium to access data reports for their vertical. A common use of Hitwise is to measure market share on the internet.
In 2006 Hitwise was valued at £180m and was subsequently acquired by Experian for $240m on 19th April 2007.
- 1997 – Hitwise was founded in Melbourne by Adrian Giles and Andrew Barlow. Adrian Giles acted as Managing Director from 1997 to 2000. Adrian Giles is now Executive Director. Andrew Barlow acted as Chairman and Joint-Managing Director from 1997 to 2000. Andrew Barlow is currently a large shareholder.
- 2000 – The "competitive intelligence" service launches. This service allows subscription access to Hitwise’s reports.
- 2001 – Hitwise launches in New Zealand, Hong Kong, United Kingdom and Singapore.
- 2002 – Hitwise is ranked 5th in the Deloitte Fast 50 in Australia
- 2003 – Hitwise launches in the United States
- 2004 – Hitwise is ranked 6th fasted in the Deloitte Fast 50
- 2006 – Hitwise purchases HitDynamics a bid management and web analytics platform.
- 2007 - Hitwise is acquired by Experian
- Hitwise Rankings - An instant overview of key players and fast-moving websites across 160+ industries and custom categories.
- Hitwise Search Intelligence – An industry leading keyword research tool for analyzing the long tail of search data. Providing extensive insights on how people have successfully searched for products and services across all major search engines. Includes Paid and Organic reports.
- Hitwise Clickstream – Provides extensive reports on the upstream and downstream traffic from a specific website, industry or custom category.
- Hitwise Demographics and Lifestyle - Profiles are available on thousands of websites and define a website’s users based on age, gender, geographic location, social group and life stage.
- Hitwise Charting - Create customized charts detailing how websites, industries or search terms perform against each other over time.
- Hitwise Conversions - Helps marketers better understand how their customers ‘take action’ on competitive websites.
- Hitwise Alerts - Sends you an email as soon as a key event that matters to your business happens on the Internet.
- Hitwise Dashboards – View several of your favorite Hitwise reports on a single page. Reports are customizable and updated automatically.
- 2003 Australian Entrepreneur of the Year Awards Finalist - Adrian Giles (founder)
- 2004 UK Revolution Awards - Winner Most Innovative UK Digital Business
- 2002–2006 - Deloitte Fast 50
awards to date
Competitors in the internet market research space include Alexa
, Compete, Inc
, and Quantcast