Hinmansville was founded in 1827 by John E. Hinman. Among the first of the buildings constructed were a Church and a Schoolhouse, but they are no longer present.
Because of its location on the Oswego River, it became a popular stop-off point for boatmen who passed by. During its heyday as a boating town, Hinmansville bore the name "Horseshoe Rifts".
Hinmansville is not listed by the U.S. Census Bureau, but is incorporated as a postal hamlet.
The unofficially estimated number of current residents is somewhere around 150.