Past HSP publications include Daddy King (2008) by Martin Luther King, Sr., Tim & Sally's Beach Adventure (2008) by Grady Thrasher and Elaine Hearn Rabon, Cooking With Jack: The New Jack Daniel's Cookbook (2006) by Lynne Tolley and Mindy Merrell, and The Atlanta Crackers: Early Days of Atlanta Baseball (2003) by Tim Darnell.
The publishing company has garnered considerable media attention since its founding on May 5, 1998, in Athens, Georgia, and the company is considered one of the better small publishers in the region. HSP and its books have received media attention in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Black Entertainment Television (BET), the Los Angeles Times, the New Yorker, the Oxford American, and Publisher's Weekly, among other regional and local media outlets.
Although many of HSP's books spring from the American South, according to the company's president and publisher Thomas Payton, "HSP seeks to publish books that transcend regionalism and appeal to the reader of any region looking for intelligent commentary on every facet of the modern world and the life of the mind."
According to Payton, "HSP seeks to serve as incubator and archive for both the most promising and the most established writers, to offer an extraordinary range of perspectives on a multitude of subjects, while always avoiding the hackneyed notions of the South as the exclusive province of the gothic or the sentimental dominion of moonlight and magnolias."
In addition to its main publishing program of nonfiction trade books under the Hill Street Press imprint, HSP publishes under five additional imprints
1. Hot Cross Books: 100% thematic crossword puzzle books with subjects including the American Civil War, the American South, Jewish religion and culture, baseball, blues, Broadway, country music, dogs, feminism, gardening, and movies, among others
2. Graphedia Books: graphic format fiction (graphic novel) and non-fiction for young readers and young adult readers
3. Broad Street Books: traditional children's fiction and nonfiction
4. College Trivia Books: college- or university-specific trivia books including the University of Alabama, the University of Florida, the University of Georgia, Florida State University, the Ohio State University, the University of Tennessee, the University of Texas, and the Georgia Institute of Technology, among others
5. Classic City Books: publishing services provided for individual and institutional clients
Books published by Hill Street Press are widely distributed and sold by independent and chain retailers and e-tailers, nationally and internationally.