The 78th Regiment of Foot was a Highland Infantry Regiment of the Line raised in late 18th Century Scotland for service against the French.
On the 7 March 1793
, Francis Humberstone MacKenzie
raised the "78th (Highland) Regiment of Foot". In 1795 it was renamed the 78th (Highland) Regiment of Foot, or "The Ross-shire Buffs". During the Napoleonic Wars the regiment served in the Mediterranean for the Sicilian Campaign of 1806, quartered at Syracuse, and the Alexandria expedition of 1807
It fought in the Anglo-Persian War of 1857 under the command of General Stalker.
In April 1873 under the "Linked Regiments Depot System" the 78th Highlanders are linked with the 71st Highland Light Infantry at 55 Brigade Depot, Fort George.
In 1881 it was amalgamated with 72nd Highlanders forming the 2nd Battalion of The Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs)
Citations and notes
- Alsager Pollock, Arthur William, (ed.), The United Service Magazine, Notes of an Expedition to Alexandria of the year 1807, H. Colburn [etc.], 1837
- Lieutenant Colonel Fairrie, Angus. Cuidich'n Righ: A History of the Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons). Inverness: Regimental H.Q., Queen's Own Highlanders, 1998