refers to an increase in display or visual resolution such as in:
- High-definition television (HDTV), television formats that have a higher resolution than their contemporary counterparts
- High-definition video, used in HDTV broadcasting, as well as digital film and computer HD video file formats
- High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI), all-digital audio/video interface capable of transmitting uncompressed streams.
- HDV, format for recording high-definition video onto magnetic tape
- HD DVD, discontinued optical disc format.
- Intel High Definition Audio (HD Audio), device driver interface (DDI) for audio and modem drivers developed by Intel
- DVD-Audio, optical DVD standard that focuses on high-definition and surround audio, published by the DVD Forum
- HiDef, 24 frames-per-second digital video format
- HD Radio, name for iBiquity's digital radio system
- HD Photo, image file format formerly known as Windows Media Photo
- Redesign project, project set up by cable operators, equipment manufacturers, and research organisations