Seaton is one of the largest villages in England, housing over 5,100 people as of 2001. It is situated next to the town of Workington and the village of Camerton along the River Derwent and dates back at least to Medieval times. Seaton is part of the borough of Allerdale and has its own Parish Council. Actually the village of Seaton has grew so much, it is now considered part of Workington. With the Workington postcode of CA14 1.
The village is traditionally split into 'High' and 'Low' Seaton. Generally speaking, Low Seaton is the oldest part of the village and runs South West from Causeway Road towards Camerton. High Seaton makes up the remainder. Many housing estates have been built since 1950, including Ling Beck Park, Hunter's Drive Estate and Whitestiles, and make up the vast majority of the current population. As these developments are in the North and East of the village, the are considered a part of High Seaton.
Amenities include: some small local shops, a petrol station, two schools - Seaton Primary and Seaton Junior Church of England school, a library
, several pubs
, and a local Rugby Football
team, Seaton Rangers . Also Seaton has excellent bus links, with the Workington Circular (46) going to and from seaton every 15 minutes.
In 1762 Seaton Iron Works
was established on the north bank of the River Derwent
below the village at Barepot. It was a major concern at one time, employing hundreds of people, before its blast furnace ceased operation in 1857. The structures were demolished and there is very little trace remaining of the iron works today.
Seaton has a long history of mining and farming, and had a large population increase during the 1800's caused by the boom of nearby Workington's steel industry. Although the steel industry is now subsided somewhat, it remains a dormitory settlement for other West Coast industries such as B.N.F.L.
Seaton had a station on the Cleator and Workington Junction Railway
but the station closed in 1922.
Bus service number 47 links Seaton to Workington .