The Pool was built for Bellinzona Guest House in the early 1930s. Bellinzona was operated by the Zelman'a, prominent Swiss Italian settlers. The pool is created by a concrete weir and drystone walling of a natural basin in Spring Creek. Terraced drystone seating surrounds the pool. The weir features an outlet value which ensures environmental flows into Spring Creek.
The pool was of Olympic size and was an early competition pool which hosted Victorian swimming championships in the 1930's. Images of the swimming championships are available on Picture Australiaand at the Daylesford Museum.
The pool ceased operation in 1969 when an Olympic Pool was constructed in Daylesford. The pool filled with silt and in 1993-95 was conserved by volunteers led by Merv Keating of the Savoia Hotel using old photographs to replicate missing features such as seating.
The Pool was named Victoria's Favourite Built Place in 2004 as part of the Victorian Government's involvement in the International Year of the Built Environment.
In 2006 the Victorian Minister for Planning undertook a community consultation project to resolve perceived conflicts between the heritage of the site and Council's fears regarding insurance coverage. In 2007 risk management works, funded by the Department of Sustainability and the Environment commenced.